Replaster - Rebar Exposed in Gunite

lf-pool

Silver Supporter
May 17, 2013
Hello,

I have a 2" rebar exposed in the gunite. I want to make sure the GC properly seals that before they replaster. Is hydraulic cement the best material to use? And how much should I use to prevent future rust stains from bleeding through the new plaster?

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!!

Where is this rebar exposed? Can we get a picture? If its in the body of the pool I would be having a serious discussion with my PB. It should be covered by 2 inches of gunite. I would ask him how he is going to repair it and how much area is light on gunite. There are various ways to do the repair. Hydraulic cement is one. He is giving you the warranty so you don't want to tell him how to do it or he may say fine I'll do it your way -- but you have no warranty. You may want to run his method of repair by us.

Pictures would be great.

Welcome to TFP!!

Where is this rebar exposed? Can we get a picture? If its in the body of the pool I would be having a serious discussion with my PB. It should be covered by 2 inches of gunite. I would ask him how he is going to repair it and how much area is light on gunite. There are various ways to do the repair. Hydraulic cement is one. He is giving you the warranty so you don't want to tell him how to do it or he may say fine I'll do it your way -- but you have no warranty. You may want to run his method of repair by us.

Pictures would be great.

If I'm not mistaken this is a remodel and not a new construction.

Thought I would post the resolution - the plaster company chipped away the gunite around the rebar, "burned" the rust off, and then put quick setting hydraulic cement down.

I have the same issue. My pool is 30,000 gallon saltwater pool with Diamond Brite finish. It was built in May 2014. My GC is coming to inspect the "rust stain" on Wednesday. I am sure it is rust for I have tried the cleaning solutions and the stain returns the next day.
Would love to see pictures of pool owners repair jobs. I hope it will be covered by the GC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.