Closing a pool in Phoenix AZ area

Feb 23, 2014
AZ
Hi all,

I was hoping for some help again. This is our first year with our newly built pool....we have not had it over a winter yet.

We live in the Phoenix area, and did great keeping our pool crystal clear all summer with your help! Now that it is too cold to swim, we wanted to get to a point that we aren't having to pay as close attention to FC and PH levels. I don't know if that is going to work or not.

Currently the pool temp is about 72 degrees. We have a variable speed pump that runs at different speeds all day long, running at a higher speed in the early morning hours, Shasta set it up this way. We would like to cut down on the time that the pump runs this winter also.

Since we aren't really going to "close", meaning we aren't planning to cover it or blow out lines or anything. What steps do I need to take? I have read pool school and the sticky in this forum, but seems to be geared more towards owners that are actually "closing" their pools.

Thank you for all of your help! Very much appreciated!

~Lissyloo

You need to just continue to maintain the chemistry like you have been. Chlorine consumption will go down as the water cools and the sun is less intense. You can not ignore it or it will go green.

For the few times the weather gets near/below freezing, just run your pump overnight to prevent freeze damage.

JB what is a good amount of time to run the pump during these "closed" times? I too am in Phoenix, with a SWG in a 21k gal in ground. My FC has climbed VERY high (18ppm) so either my CYA is outta whack or my pump times need to be cut waay back right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.