Alwys a very small layer of water around the base of pumping station...

Oct 15, 2014
Houston/Texas
TFP,

This is my first post here and over the year the comments are extremely helpful. Everything with my 30k in ground pool is working great however since I purchased the home I have noticed the following:

1) A small moistened area around the base of the pumping station. Almost like there is a very slow leak somewhere.

I checked all around, looked for drips, etc.... nothing. I guess what I'm asking is it normal to see the cement base for the pumping station have a small moistened layer of water or does it suppose to be completely dry all the time??? I have also noticed since the area generally stays a bit damp that there is a very small amount of green algae around the base of the pump (not pipes) as well. The pipes, pump, filter... everything looks clean and working normally. I'm just a bit concerned about the base of the pumping station to avoid a problem down the stretch.

Thanks,
Big Tony
Houston, Tx.

Inspection mirror and a bright flashlight are in order. Leaky pump seal will not cause pool water level to drop noticeably but will likely reveal itself with close inspection on the underside, streaking, small drips etc. Wipe under pump housing along seams between motor and impeller sections as you can with a paper towel, after you look at it with a mirror.

Also, a leaking seal/gasket can eventually cause bearing failure which is a much more expensive fix so it would be a good idea to fix the leak as soon as possible.

I guess what I'm still confused about..... is it normal at any time to have a small amount of condensation/water at the base of the pumping station? I'll look guys and reverify yet I'm trying to understand the typical "working as expected" situation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In Houston on a sunny/warm day there should only be condensation in the morning, and if you wipe it off it doesn't come back until the next day. The same as when you find condensation on your car in the mornings. Unless you have found the key to keeping ice cold water in the pool you should not see any condensation during the heat of the day.

You may have a slow leak at the shaft seal, or the drain plug could be loose.

My equipment constantly has some form of moisture around it. But it is outside so it could be dew or irrigation or any number of other things. If the equipment is inside and you have water around the base, there is a leak. I would also suggest wiping the underside if the pump off between the wet end and the motor and looking for evidence of moisture. They you could even stick a paper towel under that joint and leave it to see if wet spots appear.

If it is something as simple as a drain plug, party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could it be ground water. If so, you'd probably see it build up underneath all equipment on the pad.

35000 gal oval, vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS, Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Minimax NT heater, Pentair model 320 chlorinator. Billings, MT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.