Need help fighting algae and dirty water blow back

I have a question I'm sure has been asked numerous times, but can't seem to find an answer that helps me.

I've been battling algae non-stop. When I try to vacuum, the dirty water blows right back into my pool via the jets.

My filter is clean, skimmer and pump baskets clean. When it's on a normal session of the filter running (usually 6-8 hours per day), the water coming into the little hot tub part is clear and looks nice. But when I try to vacuum the gunk off the bottom, it all blows back in.

I tested my water today, acid levels were fine (7.2), chlorine levels were fine, a bit on the high side because I shocked it (almost 3), total Alkalinity was at 100ppm, so right in the middle of fine.

I'm avoiding vacuuming to waste because of the water waste. Being in Southern California, and therefor a major drought, they're really cracking down on wasted water, plus raising water rates.

I've tried shock with built-in algaecide, plain ole shock, algaecide by itself, and now an algaecide plus clarifier.

I just can't seem to beat this algae, nor figure out why it all blows back in when I try to vacuum. The weather has been fairly hot, although this week it's finally been in the mid 70s, and where my house is on the hill we tend to run a bit hotter then the surrounding areas.

So, any ideas or helpful hints are welcome.

Thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you have fallen for the allure of all of the pool store's magic potions when all you really need to kill the algae is chlorine and following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Have you discovered our Pool School yet? If not, start with these so we are talking the same language:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Sounds like you have 2 issues. 1. Not NEARLY enough chlorine (3ppm is too low even if you have very low stabilizer (CYA), which I kind of doubt given all the "shock" powders you are using). And 2. the filter might be bypassing some debris, but this has nothing to do with your pool having live algae in it.

You need to start by investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits and posting up a full set of test results. I highly suggest the TF-100 from poolsupplyworld.com ... you will have it in a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.