closing an inground swimming pool

frisky

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2012
Hi: This is the first time I am going to close the pool. I will appreciate if any body can tell me what kind of air compressor and how much PSI's I should use.
Thanks.

Can you tell us a little about your pool, plumbing and equipment? Most of the time a shop vac with a blower port is a better choice than a compressor. The high air volume clears the pipes better.

Not sure if I should post on this thread or start a new one, so please advise.

I have the same sort of question. My pump is approximately 12" below full pool water level, so I'm not exactly sure how that affects the procedure to clear the lines. My builder closed for us last year, but I was not able to be there to see what he did. My plan was to use a compressor connected at the pump filter basket set at around 15 PSI and plug each return as it started to bubble. The main drain will continue to empty water from the pool until it reaches the level of the pump? I have read something here about an air lock on the main drain, but don't have a clue about that.
I would appreciate any suggestions. I do not have shop vac with blower port, but I do have a Stihl backpack leaf blower if that is an option.
Thanks.

My plan was to use a compressor connected at the pump filter basket set at around 15 PSI and plug each return as it started to bubble. The main drain will continue to empty water from the pool until it reaches the level of the pump? .

Thats what I do. I use a Sears pancake compressor. 15 PSI is about right. Return closest to the pump blows first. Let it bubble for about 30 seconds, the cap it off. Ther next one blows, do the same thing until its all capped off. Compressor works just fine for me. Cant help too much with the main drain because i dont have one.

Not sure if I should post on this thread or start a new one, so please advise.

I have the same sort of question. My pump is approximately 12" below full pool water level, so I'm not exactly sure how that affects the procedure to clear the lines. My builder closed for us last year, but I was not able to be there to see what he did. My plan was to use a compressor connected at the pump filter basket set at around 15 PSI and plug each return as it started to bubble. The main drain will continue to empty water from the pool until it reaches the level of the pump? I have read something here about an air lock on the main drain, but don't have a clue about that.
I would appreciate any suggestions. I do not have shop vac with blower port, but I do have a Stihl backpack leaf blower if that is an option.
Thanks.
The main drain air lock is when you blow it out until it bubbles then close the valve to it so the air prevents water from coming back in the line. I wouldn't use a leaf blower. I have an Echo handheld blower, and the instruction say not to cover the end and prevent air flow. I assume that's because it uses the resistance of the air against the impeller as a governor. Trying to blow lines could cause the engine to over rev because it doesn't have that resistance since it isn't moving any air initially. May not be an issue with the returns, but may be with the main drain. Yours may be different.

I tried my stihl blower and it didn't have enough pressure to blow the main drain. I tried my air compressor with 25psi and while it blew the lines, thank gosh my pool pilot SWG has a clear window at the bypass valve because I could see there was still a bunch of water in there. I wouldn't have known otherwise. I had the pool company come over to blow it out properly. They used a specialized pool blower and it did the job. This year I bought my own and it works perfect- has just the right amount of massive flow and low pressure to blow all the water out. It's expensive, but the same price as one pool company closing.
It's about $300 on amazon
http://www.airsupplyflorida.com/vac.htm

Cyclone-1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.