First Time In Ground Closer

honeill14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2014
Hopedale, MA
First of all I did read the instructions in the closing section. However, as a newbie some of the steps are not clear to me. The pool company usually closes the pool using a compressor and that is not covered in the closing section (sad to say I don't even know where to plug the compressor in). Also not covered is how to do it without having to lower the water level below the skimmers. My main concern is blowing out the lines and making sure the heater gets done as well. I've attached some pictures of my filter, SWG and heater, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Attachments

• Pool Filter1.jpg
    Pool Filter1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Pool Heater1.JPG
    Pool Heater1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 58
You will need a 5 HP Shop Vac at the least to blow out the lines. Lower water, blow out the lines, add antifreeze, blow short burst to get Antifreeze to move to lower sections where water can pool in the lines. You can try blowing out the main drain, but doubt that shop vac will do it, put shop vac on line for 5 minutes then shut off ball valve. It wont keep the water down, but will do some movement. Undo all unions and ball valves, store the o rings in a plastic bag, lube if necessary so they are supple next spring. Blow out the Heat Pump, add antifreeze by tilting it backwards. I tape off all lines that critters could crawl into. Remove drain plug on filter and allow it to drain, some remove the multiport and bring it in doors as well. I go one step further and lube the spider gaskets inside it.

Bring all equipment indoors that has electronics in it.

I have been scouring the web/youtube for video of my kind of equipment. I have some additional questions, what position should the pump lever be set to main drain? When you get to the last opening to close, how do you do that while the compressor is running without trapping air and creating pressure in the pipes that could create problems? I don't have a shop vac but I have a compressor I use for my irrigation system and I'm still not sure how to blow out the heater. Do I leave the filter drain plug on or off during the winter, what about the clear glass that shows water quality at the top of the filter?

You can use your compressor, but make sure it goes no higher then 20psi, also you will require a fitting to get it to work on your lines. A shop vac comes with a hose and has enough pressure to blow out all lines except for the main drain. Anything and everything that can come off, should be taken off and brought inside.

First of all I did read the instructions in the closing section. However, as a newbie some of the steps are not clear to me. The pool company usually closes the pool using a compressor and that is not covered in the closing section (sad to say I don't even know where to plug the compressor in). Also not covered is how to do it without having to lower the water level below the skimmers. My main concern is blowing out the lines and making sure the heater gets done as well. I've attached some pictures of my filter, SWG and heater, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

On your pump below the clean out basket should be a drain screw. If you remove that and screw in a typical air nipple with 1/4" threads, your compressor hose attaches to it.

You don't build up presure it the compressor, just turn it on and it will push air into the lines just like it does to the compressor tank.

The returns will bubble when there through pushing water out, that's when you plug them. You won't get out 100% of the water with a compressor, but you will get out most.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.