Pump wasout of commission for 2 weeks, dealing with algae...

Aug 16, 2008
Any input would be appreciated. I've learned more in a few days on this forum then I did through trial and error in the last year as a first-time pool owner.

Here are my current levels:

Free Chlorine: 0 ppm

PH: 7.8

Total Alkalinity: 100 ppm

Calcium Hardness: 500 ppm

Stabilizer: 100 ppm

Total Dissolved Solids: 700 ppm

Pool is AG- 15,000 gallon capacity, 12 1/2' X 30', exposed aggregate interior, cartridge filter. Polaris auto-cleaner

Pump has been operational since Monday. Current state of pool=hazy/cloudy blue water, been brushing some accumulations on wall.

Just added 15 ozs of Muriatic acid (per pool calc.) to lower PH

Added additional fresh water to try and bring down Calcium H level

Waiting till tomorrow to shock with bleach unless advised otherwise

Thanks in advance for any advice.

over the deep end said:
Any input would be appreciated. I've learned more in a few days on this forum then I did through trial and error in the last year as a first-time pool owner.

Here are my current levels:

Free Chlorine: 0 ppm

PH: 7.8

Total Alkalinity: 100 ppm

Calcium Hardness: 500 ppm

Stabilizer: 100 ppm

Total Dissolved Solids: 700 ppm

Pool is AG- 15,000 gallon capacity, 12 1/2' X 30', exposed aggregate interior, cartridge filter. Polaris auto-cleaner

Pump has been operational since Monday. Current state of pool=hazy/cloudy blue water, been brushing some accumulations on wall.

Just added 15 ozs of Muriatic acid (per pool calc.) to lower PH

Added additional fresh water to try and bring down Calcium H level

Waiting till tomorrow to shock with bleach unless advised otherwise

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

So glad to hear you've been reading the site, it's a lot of info, and can be overwhelming, huh?! :)

First, POP. That's Pool Owner Patience. :mrgreen:

Is your pool and above-ground or in ground? that's not clear to me. Can you put your pool specs and equipment in your signature, that would be helpful for us responding. Go to "User Control Panel" (top left) and then "Profile" and then "Edit Signature".

You don't mention where you live but I'm wondering if you winterize your pool? The reason I bring this up is your CYA/Stabilizer is too high. You will struggle trying to kill algae with CYA that high....and I suggest a partial drain an refill to lower it.

However, if you are winterizing, and your swim season is over in a few weeks....perhaps just wait till Spring to see where you stand on the CYA? If you only have a month or so left you could just maintain a proper chlorine level for your CYA (see the chart in my sig) until you close, since you normally lower the water level for winterizing anyway? What have you been using till now for sanitizing?

Test your fill water to be sure your CH in your fill water isn't high as well, with a CH of 500 and a high PH that can cloud the water too, but I'm going on the theory the cloudiness is the algae. I'm guessing here that you've been dealing with high PH from the pool being new last year? Was it new, or new to you?

Re-read the article about defeating algae. Your FC is 0, and it should be between 26 and 40 (shock level for a CYA of 100) to clear your pool. You'll need to continue shocking until

Your FC holds overnight or you lose less than 1ppm overnight
Your CC is .5 ppm or less
Your water is sparkling clear.

Unless you meet those criteria, keep shocking, adding bleach as much as hourly to keep your level above 26. Keep brushing and running the filter 24/7 until it clears.

FYI, Shocking works great at night because you don't have as much FC loss due to sunlight.

Okay, that's all for now, so have some POP and post back, let us know how its going. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.