Going away for 8 days what do I do with the pool?

PieMan

Aug 12, 2014
Coral Springs, FL
I'm going on vacation next month for 8 days and don't really have anyone to manage the pool while I'm gone. A friend has a pool guy come over once a week and maintain the pool by pouring what I'm assuming is a crazy amount of chlorine in the pool to keep levels up for the full week. Can I get by doing that, if so what should my target FC be or can I do the pucks everyone hates (never used these before) just for the week given my CYA levels are at a manageable 35 ppm level. I live in South Florida if that makes a difference.

Last test results:

FC=5
pH=7.6
TA=60
CH=170
CYA=35

Since your CYA is actually relatively low for your climate, there is no problem using some tablets while you are gone.

Do you have a cover? You could raise the FC up to shock level and cover the pool ... and/or add tablets in a floater.

Honestly I don't have any experience with using pucks or the floater, I'm a bleach dumper 100%.
The only difference in pucks I believe is the size, weight. As for how many, fill the floater up and I'd say no more than half way open. Just make sure you getting enough chlorine in the water.
I'm sure somebody with experience with these will come along. ?

Check the active ingredients on the pucks. You don't want anything with metals (copper, silver) or minerals. I also would not used cal-hypo pucks. Just CYA and Trichlor/dichlor for the active ingredients. Put one or two in a floater, bring the pool to shock level and let the pump run on a timer. If you get a lot of debris in your pool get someone to empty the skimmer basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.