Replace just the motor or the whole Hayward Super Pump?

Motor just went in my 10 yr old Hayward 1 hp Super Pump. To replace the motor will run around 135.00 or I can replace the whole Pump and Motor for 315.00. My question is, is it smarter to just replace the whole unit now or just the motor? I'd hate to go through the whole trouble of replacing the motor (will have to pull the whole pump assembly for access) just to have the pump go in the near future. What kind of life expectancy is there for the pumps? Do they usually last a lot more than the motors?

And....if I am replacing either unit, would it be beneficial to bump up the horsepower...say from 1hp to 1.5hp? There's about a $100 jump in price...

Thanks in advance for your responses!

The wet ends rarely go bad. I would recommend a new 2-speed motor with a new all new seals, get a "go-kit".

Unless you need more flow for some reason, there is no need to get a bigger motor/pump ... unless you want to pay more for it and pay more to run it. ;)

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks, you mention the 2 speed motor...I'm not familiar with them. How does it operate? How do you switch between the speeds? Right now its just a single speed operated by a timeclock.
Also, you talked about the "go-kit"... I just replaced the seals in the pump last year (due to some leakage) will I need to replace them again?

You would need a shaft seal, but would not need the gaskets or o rings if you just replaced them.

Simplest to just have a switch to manually select high or low speed. Run on low all the time except backwashing or vacuuming.

My Hayward 3HP single speed pump lasted for 8 years before the wet end needing rebuilding and then another 2 years before the dry end started screeching. At that point I replaced it with a variable speed Hayward Eco star. I love the new variable speed because I can run it at 1250 rpm which saved me $75 a month. Another benefit of the Eco star is the wall panel control that came with the pump. I ran a cat5 cable from the pump up through the attic and dropped the cable down inside my kitchen, mounted the control panel on the wall (so I can control the pump from inside house). My old pump would only run 3450 rpm $$$. So, if you can spare the extra $100 I'd say go for it.

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. There appear to be many different front attachments on the motor. When I search for Hayward Super Pump, the only motors that come up, are the single speeds. Can you recommend a website/websites to search or does anyone know what 2 speed replacement motor fits the Hayward Super Pump?

You can also just buy a dry end, no need to mess with seals and bearings. As Jason said, wet ends rarely have issues. A new dry end would have a warranty as well.

I am not aware of a dry end available yet for a 2 speed.

Big savings can be had by running pump and SWG on a timer. No need to be running them 24/7. I run mine 9 hours a day, an that's only for solar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are looking for a quick reference chart for Hayward Super Pump replacement motors, whether it is single, dual or variable I found this one: http://www.inyopools.com/motors_hayward_super.aspx

Everything seems to be in order going by my quick skim. Have a gander yourself
For the two speeds, they recommend full rated motors on up rated wet ends which is unnecessary and technically not correct although it would still work ok.

The 1 HP Superpump is an up rated pump and so would require either a 1 HP up rated two speed motor or a 3/4 HP full rated two speed motor which is what I recommended above.

For the two speeds, they recommend full rated motors on up rated wet ends which is unnecessary and technically not correct although it would still work ok.

The 1 HP Superpump is an up rated pump and so would require either a 1 HP up rated two speed motor or a 3/4 HP full rated two speed motor which is what I recommended above.

A.O. Smith's replacement dual speed motors are full-rated, if you do a little service factor-horsepower multiplication you can figure out what HP is necessary for any wet end. So if he wanted to go with a 1HP Uprated equivalent the choice would be the STS1072R 3/4 HP Fullrated Dual Speed 230 Volt

Either way the one you suggested and the one I suggest STS1072R will work though mine is little less expensive.

A.O. Smith's replacement dual speed motors are full-rated, if you do a little service factor-horsepower multiplication you can figure out what HP is necessary for any wet end.
Right but Inyo is doing it incorrectly. That was my only comment. I could care less where the OP gets the motor but the STS1072 is the correct motor, not the STS1102 that Inyo recommends. In fact, Inyo does not even have the 1072 two speed on the page you originally posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.