Moss for chlorine?

The video on it here as well as the article that Jason linked to (which looks like a transcript from the video) says it costs $30-60 per month depending on the size of the pool and the example they gave has a customer who still must use his saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) but it is set for the lowest amount the EPA allows which from the moss product website says it must be at least 1 ppm FC (though they don't refer to the CYA level).

We already know that a low chlorine level will be sanitary (especially in a residential pool). The only issue is algae prevention and oxidation of ammonia and organics. Use of 50 ppm Borates would be a one-time alternative to algae prevention and one could even use PolyQuat 60 at $2-3 per week and accomplish pretty much the same thing. Keeping the FC level lower (with a high CYA) means the SWG can be turned down so less pH rise and associated acid needed to balance pH. So there's more than one way to accomplish this sort of goal -- even less expensively than moss.

The thing is, even with those who keep 4 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA in SWG pools don't complain about the problems that the guy in the video complained about -- irritated eyes, smell of chlorine, etc. I wonder what was really going on in his pool. I suspect his pH was fluctuating a lot and that he hadn't controlled a regular pH rise through the techniques described in this forum (lower TA, use of borates, higher CYA for SWG).

Richard

You can run at a FC of 1 with a SWG, a low CYA level, borates, and some very careful level balancing. Moss is not required. Plus it will have essentially all of the advantages they claim. Remember, they only say not to go below a FC of 1, they don't actually promise that you can get that low. Getting FC down to 1 is pushing it, but an FC level of 2 is not really all that difficult with an SWG and borates and a suitable CYA level.

Even if the moss has the properties they claim, I can't imagine that a few cups of moss will do much for an entire pool for a entire month. If they were filling an entire 300 lb sand filter with moss I would be more inclined to believe it.

Regardless, someone is being very clever about the marketing.

Just watched the video, and well, if I have to spend $30.00 a month for moss, well no thankyou, if people would just come to TFP and see how you keep your water balanced for less than, lets say $10 a month. :scratch:

Lets see $30.00 a month hmmm 3yrs you could have a SWG. :hammer:

MOSS= Money Overspent Sewage Sauce and then they get it from New Zeland :roll:

Maybe Al Gore might be interested

Can you say Gimick

The name of the company is "Creative Water Solutions" and the product is "Pool Naturally."

I'd say they are creative all right. The ignorance of the reporter in the video is typical. They never do proper research when reporting on these "alternative" solutions. Amazingly, any of the alternatives that are effective require regular testing, and maintaining a stable amount of free chlorine - hmmm, sound familiar? :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.