Pool closer ran amuck with copper algecide

May 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Hired someone to close my pool and without asking me they dumped in 32oz of copper based algecide before putting the cover on.
Now I'm worried about copper staining over the winter!
Should I be worried?
Should I reopen the pool now, completely drain and refill and reclose with poly algecide?
What if I just wait til the spring and reopen then?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
(First year TFP/BBB method following advice from this forum - was a great summer!)

Yes, the bottle was labeled "51.6% ethanolamine complex, equivalent to 7.41% elemental copper."
So, I think they added 0.62 ppm copper.
Danger zone for copper staining over the winter??????

Thanks,
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the bottle was labeled "51.6% ethanolamine complex, equivalent to 7.41% elemental copper."
So, for a 30k gal pool, I think they added 0.62 ppm copper.
Danger zone for copper staining over the winter??????
Is it worth reopening and draining now?

Thanks,
Steve

Just keep pH under control. Higher is the pH bigger the risk of staining the surface. Best if you lower the pH in the 7.2 - 7.5 interval. Did he lower the water level? If yes the spring opening will dilute the copper concentration. Some copper will be lost in winter together with the dead algae and some more will be lost in backwashing in the next summer. Risk of stains is spall if copper concentration is smaller than 0.5ppm. You are close to the safe limit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.