TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I closed my pool Saturday and had problems with one return fitting sealing.

I've had problems with this one before, and replaced a cracked faceplate this year hoping it would clear up the problems.

I had bubbles coming from behind the faceplate with the winterizing plug tight. I removed the faceplate to inspect the fitting itself, and all was normal. I installed the winterizing plug on the return without the faceplate, and I was easily able to seal it, but I was afraid to leave it like that since the liner wasn't being retained without the faceplate in place.

Looking closely I see that the O-ring on the plug seals against the plate when it is there, and against the return fitting itself when the plate is removed. Makes me think there is a problem with the seal between the fitting, the liner and the plate, but there isn't much I can do about that that I can see with the liner in place.

The last few years I've been able to seal this return with teflon tape on the threads of the plug, but it didn't seem to want to seal this year. I was concerned about damaging the fitting with too much tape or torquing it too hard. I ended up taking the O-ring off of a spare plug, and putting it the plug with the faceplate sandwiched between the two O-rings. I installed the plug, which sealed easily using the extra O-ring behind the plate, and then put the screws in the plate and all seems well. I ended up with an O-ring sealing against the return fitting and my faceplate in place to hold the liner during the winter.

Anybody seen anything like this or have a better solution?

I have had a similar issue this year closing our pool. When blowing out the return lines and capping the pool side return inlets, I noticed that a small amount of air bubbled out from behind the inlet face plates in a couple of locations while the returns remained under positive air pressure. In fact, some of these face plates seem distorted and/or cracked.

How easy is it to replace these face plates and the gaskets behind them? Looks like they could be Hayward SPX1408 inlets. We have a vinyl pool.

I have had a similar issue this year closing our pool. When blowing out the return lines and capping the pool side return inlets, I noticed that a small amount of air bubbled out from behind the inlet face plates in a couple of locations while the returns remained under positive air pressure. In fact, some of these face plates seem distorted and/or cracked.

How easy is it to replace these face plates and the gaskets behind them? Looks like they could be Hayward SPX1408 inlets. We have a vinyl pool.

Faceplates are easy to replace. Apparently the gaskets on mine are behind the liner, making replacement tough.

I never get a good airtight seal using my threaded plugs. I always see tiny air bubbles while the mighty mac is on. Even after replacing the o-ring and/or using teflon. I wonder if I am having the same problem as you.

I was thinking of trying the rubber expansion plugs next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.