kathyo

May 24, 2011
Farmers Branch, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! First I'd like to thank everyone at TFP. I've learned so much since I've found this site. I'll never go to Leslie's again. Thank you!

The heater that came w/ my pool (Mar 2004) is a Pentair MiniMax NT Low NOx 400 BTU natural gas heater. We've had to fix it up numerous times over the years for a lot of money. It has finally died again and we have decided to get a new one. My installer suggested 2 options: Master Temp 400 or the Raypack 400. The Raypack installation will be $100 more since it is a bigger machine and will require some moving around of the other equipment. He said he's installed a lot of Master Temp with hardly any problems. I don't want to get stuck with another problem like the MiniMax. Do you have a preference for one over the other? Or would either machine be better than what I have now. We like outside of Dallas and only heat the whole pool in late May to bring it up to initial swimming temp (usually 82) and in Sept or Oct to extend the season a little. We also heat the spa, but never in the really cold weather.

Thanks,
Kathy

Raypak gets consistently good feedback from the members ... including from those in the industry that have experience with all the heaters due to simple design and ease of maintenance in the rare circumstances that it needs it.

I'll vote for the Raypak also.

You might want to rethink on how often you turn on the heater. I find things like heaters need to be run every now and then to stay in working condition. When stuff sits around not being used they tend to have more problems. I suggest for you to run it at least once a month and enjoy the spa for a soak.

Raypak hands down. The person that wants to install the Mastertemp, are they a warranty station for Pentair? I only ask because many installers aren't also a warranty person so they might not know about issues after the install because the HO calls the 1-800 number for service. Like me, I install a few Matertemp's and Starite's a year but I am not a warranty station for them so if the HO had an issue say 18 months down the road I wouldn't know about it. Seriously consider the Raypak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.