Is there such a thing as OB for fiberglass pool?

Mario P

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2014
Rio Rancho, NM
Hi, I'm new to the pool world and I'm in planning stages of our pool.
I think I've decided that I'll be OK with fiberglass pool, due to ease of maintenance.
I'm OK with it being rectangular due to the need for automated cover.

Because I like to tackle building projects (houses, additions, never a pool, yet), I'd like to know if Owner Builder for fiberglass pool is even an option.
I don't want to just ask pick up a phone and ask Viking (for example) pool builder if he'll sell me a pool for little markup incase he says no.
There are few builders here to begin with and I don't want to sour any relationships.

TIA for any tips, leads, resources and/or URLs.

Mario

Given the nightmare fiberglass pool installs by professionals I have read about in this forum ... I would never try to install a fiberglass pool as a DIY project ... just my opinion.

I have a Viking fiberglass pool and the pool builder that installed my pool also sells a pool kit for people that want to install it themselves. It took 2 1/2 weeks for my pool install and the guy that did it was a professional. I don't think it would be something I'd do myself. You could easily ruin the pool and I don't know if the manufacturer would even honor the warranty if there were problem down the line.

Maintenance doesn't get any easier with a fiberglass pool over a plaster or vinyl pool. Keep reading here at TFP and you will understand. Start with Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

That's news to me. I was told and everything I've read states that fiberglass pool is a lot more stable when it comes to chemical maintenance due to concrete's natural chemical leaching and other factors.
Am I wrong?

Also, fiberglass is supposed to be smoother as compared to plaster, and by that extension less likely to support algae growth.

I'm not trying to start an argument; just looking for substance before I spend 60+ grand on a pool.

Like I stated in OP, I'm not afraid to run the project myself, and if I was doing free form than concrete would make sense, but since I need to incorporate automatic cover, I'm relegated to rectangular shape anyway. And if I'm going to stick with rectangular, I might as well get one that's as maintenance free as possible.

You will need to control the pH more often for the first year while the plaster cures as it does raise the pH. After that, the pH should not be raising any more than a fiberglass pool.

I would say the smoothness has very little to do with supporting algae growth when a pool is properly taken care of. If you are not balancing the pool to prevent algae in a plaster pool, then you will still have algae problems in a fiberglass pool. It might take more brushing in a porous plaster pool to get rid of algae if you do get it, but it still goes back to how you are taking care of the water.

I just don't see any significant difference in the amount of maintenance required to maintain any type of pool in the long run. They all need the chemicals tested often and adjusted to about the same parameters. The other maintenance tasks need to be done regardless of pool type or you will experience problems with the pool.

A word of caution, fiberglass pools must be installed correctly or else you will get cracking and splintering and it is not the simplest job to do right. If you don't have any pool construction experience I would not install it myself risking the 60K+. I've read about too many professionally installed fiberglass pools having problems.

All this said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a fiberglass pool and you should have many years of enjoyment with it.

I have had a Viking fiberglass pool for 4 years and really am glad I decided to go with a fiberglass pool. I like The smooth bottom and no risk of leaks as with a vinyl liner. I use "sustain " pool chemicals and am very pleased with the once a week adding of new tabs and pellets. All my water tests with the Taylor kit are fine. My pool was installed using sand by a dealer in Pittsburgh who does many many of these fiberglass pools. No issues with the harsh winters. I have an automatic coverstar safety cover which protects the family. You have to decide for yourself if the excavation and crane rental etc is something you want to take on.

I have had a Viking fiberglass pool for 4 years and really am glad I decided to go with a fiberglass pool. I like The smooth bottom and no risk of leaks as with a vinyl liner. I use "sustain " pool chemicals and am very pleased with the once a week adding of new tabs and pellets. All my water tests with the Taylor kit are fine. My pool was installed using sand by a dealer in Pittsburgh who does many many of these fiberglass pools. No issues with the harsh winters. I have an automatic coverstar safety cover which protects the family. You have to decide for yourself if the excavation and crane rental etc is something you want to take on.
Exclusive use of tablets and pellets is not recommended by TFP due to the build up of CYA and possibly CH depending on what the pellets are.

You can still get calcium scaling in your pool if you allow the CH and pH to get too high. And algae is highly likely of you let the CYA climb without correspondingly higher FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is nothing magic about their chemicals, besides likely higher prices for the same thing. If you do massive water drains every winter, that can help keep things under control.

What we teach works for every pool.

Thanks for replays.
I do not have any pool construction experience.
I have plenty of general design, construction, project management, and maintenance experience that with additional time buried in the books could be applied to pool construction.
Having said that, since I have not heard one person give any information about procurement of fiberglass shell as a homeowner-builder, I'll conclude that fiberglass pool construction is best left to professionals.

Thank you for the information.

There is at least one fiberglass company that does ob. Not sure the brand might be royal, not sure. As to staying with a rectangle to do an auto cover not necessary, you can do anything shape wise you just have to plan the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.