Drained and Refilled. Pool Now Cloudy

Aug 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I had an algae and high CYA levels and apparently the previous owner never drained the pool for 15 years, so I bought a pump at HF, completely drained the pool, and scrubbed the sides with bleach. Refilled and now the pool is blue, but very cloudy. This cloudiness occurred after backwashing for 5 minutes last night and running the pool pump for about 18 hours. I added 3.5 gallons of bleach through the refilling process and 6 cups of granular CYA to a sock and placed it in the skimmer basket (4 overnight, 2 this morning).

Here are my levels currently.

PH: 7.5
FC: 3.5
TC: .5
CH: 250 - 300
TA: 150

I am using the TF1000 chemistry kit. For the CYA, the black dot never completely disappeared, but it did get cloudy once I filled it to the top. I understand it could take up to a week for the CYA to level out. I have not reinstalled the vacuum yet as I have some clean up with that since it was sitting in algae.

So what could be causing this cloudiness and how do I clear it up?

What was the CYA level you shot for ? Adjust your FC for that level and see if that clears it up. Target the high end of the range. If that doesn't clear it up bring it up to shock level for your CYA level you aimed for.
The CYA won't fully register in a test for up to a week so just assume the level you aimed for is there.
Let us now if it clears up or not. Keep your pump running to help clear it up. ?

Pool Math is pretty accurate. I would have added the 7th cup. You may want to add it to get to thirty. Then test it in a week.
Your FC target will be 6, high end of the range and never below 2. Shock level will be 12. ?

Ran the pool pump for about 36 hours. FC is now 5. CYA has mostly dissolved from the sock. Pool is still very blue and very cloudy and this is all brand new water, so I'm not sure what the problem is, Anything else I should test for? Should I backwash again?

Can you give a CC test result ? Has your pressure risen since your last backwash ? You want to backwash when pressure rises 25% above what the clean pressure is. Have you added anything else besides the bleach and CYA ?

Cloudy Pool

Merged by moderator. Please keep your related posts together. jblizzle

Last week I drained the entire pool, and scrubbed with bleach. Per the TFPC method, I've only added bleach and granular CYA (7 cups in a sock in the filter basket) for a target level of 30 CYA, once I refilled this weekend. Now the pool is blue, but very cloudy.

Here are my numbers
PH: 7.5
FC: 5
TC: .5
CH: 250 - 300
TA: 150
CC is 0.

I ran the pump for 40 hours and FC is holding at 5. Pressure on the sand filter was steady at 18 psi. I recently turned off the pool pump, and went over there. It sounded like there was air coming out of the filter in the off position. I do not know if this is normal. I recently added 117 ounces of 10% bleach to bring it up to shock level to see if this clears it up.

If this doesn't clear up the cloudiness, what do I do? Should I buy clarifier? Shoud I buy DE and add that to the return to see if I have a leak in the filter?

I can't believe how many problems I am having and how much money I am spending. I drained and scrubbed the whole thing to get it back in shape and now I am having more problems after starting from scratch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have good flow from your jets? i.e. is the pump doing a good job of circulating the water? Can you read the pressure on your filter container and what is it?

I suppose your filter media could be badly contaminated, but it doesn't sound like the water is exchanging through the filter. Is there a possibility that a bypass valve which is used for backflushing could be broken or in the wrong position? That can actually happen on my pool which has a backwash canister and a return to the pool. I think that design was to conserve water. When the valve is in the wrong position, you are pushing water through the filter in the opposite direction (i.e. backflushing), but water will still go back in the pool through a backflush canister...... Anyhow, mine is DE, so your system could be pumbed entirely different. I just wanted to throw that out as a thought... check your plumbing and valve arrangement to insure there is no possible way to bypass the filter.

It's not the sand, sand doesn't wear out. It's not "new" water, all water is ancient- dates back billions of years. You need to wait for the filter to clear out all the "stuff" in the water. Ashame you split your threads- try to keep everything in one thread, easier for others to follow.

It's not the sand, sand doesn't wear out. It's not "new" water, all water is ancient- dates back billions of years. You need to wait for the filter to clear out all the "stuff" in the water. Ashame you split your threads- try to keep everything in one thread, easier for others to follow.

Saying the water is ancient isn't helpful at all. I think we all understood what the OP was saying, and I don't think the water's true age is part of the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.