How long does a SWG cell last

Thehobe

Sep 22, 2014
Los Altos, CA
How long doe a SWG cell last. I assume it is supposed to be catalytic only but what is the practical life for a cell? I heard of many people going to salt system/SWG only to go back once they find out the expense of a replacement cell.

Re: scale buildup in cells of intellichlor IC40, needs frequent acid wash

How long does a cell last?

Way too many variables to say. Some people only have the pool open 3 months, others year-round. How many hours a day does the pump run? How big is the pool? How much sun? What is the CYA.? What percentage is the SWG set? Some check and balance their water chemistry very carefully, others don't even know what CSI stands for.

That said, with proper attention and care, there is no cheaper way the chlorinate a pool. My T-15 cell lasted 7+ years in a 19,000 gallon pool where the pool is open year-round and in use from April-November. I then replaced it at a cost of $400. That's less than $60 per year for my chlorine.

I'd say 5 to 7 years. Longer than a set of tires!

It's really a values based decision. I would never promote a SWG system as a money saver, but rather than a convenience item. You probably do save some money, but chlorine maintenance is a full time job and the SWG makes it easier, but trades that ease for more PH maintenance. And being in the right place with test results. But once you dial them in, the only numbers that move very much are PH and chlorine.

I'll just say it is not for everyone, but for those willing to put up with the con's to take advantage of the pro's it's a fair deal.

Way too many variables to say. Some people only have the pool open 3 months, others year-round. How many hours a day does the pump run? How big is the pool? How much sun? What is the CYA.? What percentage is the SWG set? Some check and balance their water chemistry very carefully, others don't even know what CSI stands for.

That said, with proper attention and care, there is no cheaper way the chlorinate a pool. My T-15 cell lasted 7+ years in a 19,000 gallon pool where the pool is open year-round and in use from April-November. I then replaced it at a cost of $400. That's less than $60 per year for my chlorine.

OK, the equipment is reliable but how much power is used by the salt generating system during it's operation. My electric power is $0.35/KWh so if it takes 150W to run for 6 hours a day, that is a cost of $0.32 a day which is fantastic so what power is used by the system?

Hmmm... well, as you know the generating output is controlled by "the knob", the regulates what percentage per hour it runs, so current draw is low when it is off.

When it is generating, push the button until you get to voltage, next is amperage. (They all see to work pretty much the same)

So mine is usually 23 volts @ 4.5 Amps which is 103.5 watts per hour. The "missing" 16.5 watts is probably electrical overhead used to run the controller.

To get technical then, it's the amount of time it's running, plus the "overhead" at idle.

But to be fair to you, I could be totally off here. I'm not an electrician.

Cell life is only determined by length of time the cell is energized. Overhead or controller power is not relevant to cell life.

BTW, I am going on my 10th year with the same cell.

My pool is about the same size. How many hours a day do you run it and what controller do you use?

Sent by supernatural powers

You didn't ask me but mine is 9+ years old. Aqualogic controller with a T-15 Cell. Pump run time is 4 hours per day and setting is 50%-95% depending on time of year.

I open my pool in April, close it the end if September. I run swg 9 hrs a day. I am going into my 10th season with nary an issue and have never had to clean my t15 cell.

I never use super chlorinate as it taxes the cell

I am able to keep my Ch at 70 ppm, I believe this is why no buildup on the blades

I have run 0 ppm cya and 80 ppm cya, the difference is % that I had to set the swg at. No question it's better to use the proper level of cya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a new Circupool SI 30+ and a 15,000 gallon in ground pool. I run mine at 27%. BUT... I have solar water panels to heat the pool, so it runs a lot of hours per day.

I recently shut off the solar panels for the season, so I run ~ 5 hours, and I'm still doing OK at 27%.

I'm close to shutting down the SWG for the season. I usually do that when my grape leaves at 4' off the ground begin to turn.... ;)

My AquaRite T-15 lasted 7 1/2 years. Most of the season (Apr - Oct) it was at 35-50% and runs 8-9 hrs per day.

I have the Jandy Aquapure, two cell generators for my large pool. Pool is 4 years old, and I've had to replace both cells once and the sensors twice. The last time I had a failure (last week), I called a new service company (not the company that built my pool) and he couldn't understand why they installed two units. So we are going with the one unit that currently works (it has a brand new sensor and a cell that's one year old). That said, I wouldn't recommend Jandy, since its failure rate in my pool is unacceptable.

he couldn't understand why they installed two units.
In general, when sizing an SWG for a pool it should be sized for at least twice the size of the pool so that you have both reserve capacity and you can still generate enough chlorine when shortening pump run time. Otherwise, you are forced to run the pump longer just for the SWG. For a 40k pool, you should have at least an 80k unit or 2 x 40k units. But with an ePump, extending run time it isn't so bad as long as you run at low RPM. But you are still using more energy that you really need to.

I have a 40k unit for a 20k pool and I need to run my pump at least four hours per day just for the SWG. I would actually like a larger unit so I could shorten run time even further but I would need to put in a second SWG.

But I would investigate why your SWG cells are not lasting very long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.