A couple closing questions

May 15, 2014
canada
Hey there. I have read all the pool closing instructions and just have a few questions.
1. When adding the pool antifreeze do I pour it in to every pipe? Like should I detach and pour in to pipes that run between heater, pump, filter, etc? Or do I just dump it into the skimmer? Also the antifreeze diluted at all or just dumped in as is.

2. I have solar panels on my roof. When I opened this year there was two plugs that needed to be put in. I assume these need to be removed for closing?

3. Is the skimmer hole the only one that needs to be plugged?

4. Do the hoes between pump, filter, heater, need to be loosened at the clamps?

My pool is swg about 13000 gallons. In ground. Only 1 skimmer and 2 returns.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

1. You need to make sure you evacuate the water and or get antifreeze in every possible place. I generally remove all piping that I can (we installed unions to make this easier).

2. Yes, you need to pull the drain plugs on the solar panels. I would assume that gravity would do the rest but a slight bit of air thru the pipes would not hurt.

3. Not sure what other holes there are? But I plug my returns and my skimmer.

4. I remove all my hoses and pipes and fill what is left with antifreeze.

The heater is what always causes me worries. Don't know why. But I blow air thru and vacuum water out and pour antifreeze in etc. overkill probably but afraid to ruin an expensive piece for something so easy to prevent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you completely disconnect as many hoses as you can and store them for the winter? When I bought the house the pool was professionally closed and they had not done that. all hoses were attached, I was told they just loosened the clamps. But I like your idea better. Easy enough to reconnected in the spring.

Just curious what you would plug your returns with. They were not plugged on opening and I'm not sure I have anything to plug them with.

Thanks a million.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.