Is there a significant benefit in purchasing a variable pump?

Amanda14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2014
East Northport, NY
Surface
Vinyl
My info should appear below but I have a 1hp Hayward rebuilt pump and it has worked fine for 16 years. I only had to have the cord going into the unit fixed last season. My question is this:

Local pool place is having a big sale and variable pumps are on sale. Is it worth it to pick one of these up? Should I stay with what I have until it breaks or is it truly a big difference makes on electricity bills etc?

Thanks in advance!

That depends a great deal on your electrical rates. High electrical rates, more than $0.20/kwh, make variable speed pumps very attractive. I don't believe electrical rates are nearly that high in NY, so odds are a variable speed pump is not such a great deal in your area.

Your 'delevered' electric costs on Long Island is one of the highest in the country well over $.20 a kWh, I think more like $.25- .29 per kWh
PSE&G LI is offering a $450 rebate on most VS pumps bought by sometime in November. A hayward superpump VS is about $650-700 on the web so your net cost would only be $250 -300

You should save much more than that the first year.
Also note that the installer gets $200.00 from PSE&G

I'm on a iPhone and can post the link later or you can go to the Hayward websit and find the listing of rebates by state to get the rebate details for PSE&G LI. The installer has to be registered with PSE&G for the rebate to be vailid

My variable speed pump suction inlet sits lower to the ground than my old pumps inlet so the installer had to re-plumb some of the PVC. Also a variable speed pump needs a Controller-relay that is compatible with variable speeds (which needs to be wired) unless the new pump comes with it's own controller. I think it is $200 well spent. ($20 in gas, $20 for parts, $20 for vehicle, $70 for installer and $70 for the boss who ordered the parts and who trained the tech.

I live in California and during the summer have step rates but normal price is .15 per kilowatt and I replaced my old pump wity a hayward e costar and run my pump 7 days a week 6 hours a day at 1000 rpm on 2 inch pipe and my pump now draws about 90watts, it saved me a good amount this summer and wity local and hayward rebate I only paid 850 for the pump so well worth the 450 extra for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The extra cost of getting a 220 line puts some people off getting a variable speed. But, Pentair and Hayward will both be launching 110 variable speed pumps for 2015. I run my 1HP superpump on a timer, so that's basically the same as a VS running 24/7. The one downfall of VS is some heatpumps wont work on lower speeds and flash Low Flow error codes constantly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.