Suds and body oil on pool surface

Mar 24, 2013
New York
I hope this is in the correct place . I have an indoor pool I was having foaming issues . Used defoamer ok results for awhile . But soon got out of hand . Did enzyme treatment worked well for a week then back to foam ( not bubbles as much as soap suds )
I'm at my minds end with this ! So I drained 2/3 of pool water about 10,000 gallons re filled added enzyms and even put oil clean up pads in the pool .
Checked pool today and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere can see what looks like oil on the suface .
Chemicals are always on target . A little off now due to the draining .
Pool is vinyl in ground about 15000 gallon temp is kept at 85 on a liquid feeder
I need to get the oil off the suface . So my new plan is to drain pool a couple inches at a time ( so I'm taking off the surface oils only ) with multi port set to waste . Refill repeat ,repeat ,repeat ......
I know the best option would be to drain the whole pool and start over but due to high water table this is not an option . I'm open to ideas here

Chlorine will fix your issue. Post a set of test results (particularly CYA) so we can see what level to suggest and chlorine alone will get rid of your issues.

You are adding a lot of stuff you don't need. Throwing chemistry at your pool and "hoping" for a good outcome often wastes a lot of your money and , just as often, is not very effective.

Without a CYA test result, it's a little iffy to tell you how much chlorine to use.

10+ is not very precise but holding it there will get rid of your issues.

Chemicals are always on target
You should consider being able to manage your own water with a test kit that will measure CYA and FC much higher than 10 ppm.

Duraleigh,
Thank you for your response a new Taylor kit just arrived late yesterday . So I will soon report full accurate results .
I feel simply better with the fact that this can be solved . The pool store looked at me like I was crazy and stared handing me everything off the shelf . Worst part is it looks like I didn't need to dump my pool !

Do you mean Splashless bleach? If so I bet THAT is your problem! There is stuff added to it to make it splashless. As you have found out adding "stuff" to your pool is not good.

I would drain your bleach container, rinse it out good, refill with plain bleach/chlorine. I hope this helps

Kim

Kim,
Thank you ! So here's my plan
1. Full accurate test result
2. No more splash less bleach
3. Clean and rinse feeder
4. Shock based on readings
Will suface draining to waste help ? Drop two inches refill repeat , repeat , ect
How long do you think it will take to know I'm heading in the right direction ?

Ok full results
Pool is about 16000 gallons vinyl sand filter
fc 11
Cc 1
Alk 80
CalC 90
Ph 8 ( maybe a little higher ) but I did add shock yesterday
Cya 0 ( ran this test 3 times ) need to get more tester soon
Still suds on surface water surface looks very shiny like oil
Lots of bubbles on side walls if that means anything

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
b4ce23055a1b4bf888c140f8da275222_zps92296613.jpg

1. Lower your pH into the mid 7,s

2. What Taylor kit did you purchase?

3. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School - thoroughly

4. read "SLAM" in the "How To" section up in Pool School - thoroughly

5. SLAM the pool using an FC value of 10 - you must do this exactly as the article teaches.

Joe, Don't mean to sound harsh but you seem to have been taking a VERY scattershot approach to your pool chemistry. That's not all that uncommon but if you want to clear your pool, you will have to be very precise. That's gonna' involve a good kit that will test CYA for you and test your FC very accurately.

Do the steps above and ask questions after you have completed the reading. We'll all pitch in to help the SLAM be succesful. :D

Let the FC go down to 9. Then test the PH again. Your PH should be around 7.4 for shocking. PH test is not accurate when FC is above 10.

If your PH is still high you bring it down using Muratic Acid.

That is some weird stuff. What does it feel like? What happens when you touch it? Not that any of this has anything to do with it. I just am curious.

I think a good brushing of everything would be a good idea.

We will "use" you to show why NOT to use splashless bleach!

Kim

Duraleigh,
I take no offense ! I was following pool store advice and I see where that got me ! I will do all of my own test from here on out !
I'm reading all I can and applying all I can . It's the high ph that's throwing me ? If I understand it's the results of shocking ( I was 7.4 before I started ) so do I lower while I'm slamming? Or adjust it first then slam ?
The test kit I now have is a Taylor k-2006
Again thank you for your help

- - - Updated - - -

Kim,
It feels and smells like dish soap . When I touch it it just kinda breaks up . Also brushing doesn't stir it up , but swim in it and the water clouds up

From the SLAM article.

Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

The Taylor K-2006 is one of the correct kits. Make sure you have enough reagent before you SLAM Particularly R-0870, R-o871, and R-0013

Ok new test results after a good backwash to be sure I got as much off the filter just in case . Also reduced ph with dry acid
Fc 9
Cc 1
Alk 80
Calc 90
Ph 7.4
Cya 0
I think I'm ready to start slam . From all I have read I need only come up 1ppm . I have liquid shock 12.5 % label just says add 1 gallon per 20,000 gallon . I know it's not correct ! I figure with plumbing and pool size I have aprox 16000 gallons .
For some reason the pool calculator won't work on my iPad ?

Great! Now do one more thing for us. Put your pool info. in your signature below. Here is a link to how to do it. I would make sure the bold the fact it is an indoor pool as that will change how some things are done with your pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Now keep your FC up at slam level as much as possible. At first test the FC every other hour. If you see that it is holding pretty good drop it back to every 3 or so hours. Use your best judgement on how often to test and add bleach.

Good luck!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.