How are people in Houston or nearby getting their chlorine?

How are people in Houston or nearby getting their chlorine? With a huge pool, I would prefer to have it delivered (free of course) and I would like to have the 12% strength but so far, I am not seeing this available to the average homeowner. Even just 2 containers at day (96 oz.) would cost me $6 or $7 at current supermarket prices, which adds up to at least $180/mo and a whole lot of hauling and dumping. Please chime in with your suppliers!

I have not found an inexpensive source of liquid pool chlorine in Houston. The other day I saw 10% chlorine at Lowes marked for $4.99 a gallon. Hardly a bargin. I buy either the Aldi's 8% bleach for $1.39 for 96 oz, Walmart Great Value 8% bleach or HEB Hill Country 8% bleach for $1.69 for 96oz. You may be able to find a mom and pop pool store that sells liquid chlorine but I doubt it will be any great deal. Leslie's Pool Supply has bought out all the other chain stores in this area and they don't sell liquid chlorine. If you find a good deal post it here, a lot of your fellow Houstonians would like to know as well.

If you look into janitorial supplies you might be able to find someone willing to sell bleach in bulk.

That's a lot of chemicals to add. At those prices, your payback time for putting in a SWG would be pretty quick. Is this an option for you?

It might be. I have never priced it, because I thought it was just another gimmick to sell naive pool-building customers "It's not chlorine! It's salt!" Even now I hear people say their pool is "saltwater" and I want to scream and gnash my teeth.

I have not found an inexpensive source of liquid pool chlorine in Houston. The other day I saw 10% chlorine at Lowes marked for $4.99 a gallon. Hardly a bargin. I buy either the Aldi's 8% bleach for $1.39 for 96 oz, Walmart Great Value 8% bleach or HEB Hill Country 8% bleach for $1.69 for 96oz. You may be able to find a mom and pop pool store that sells liquid chlorine but I doubt it will be any great deal. Leslie's Pool Supply has bought out all the other chain stores in this area and they don't sell liquid chlorine. If you find a good deal post it here, a lot of your fellow Houstonians would like to know as well.

If you look into janitorial supplies you might be able to find someone willing to sell bleach in bulk.

There's no Aldi near me - I will check the dollar stores, but I don't expect that their bleach would be very strong, so even more bottles would be needed. We do have a small HEB not far away.

I wondered what had happened to Warehouse Pool Supply - now I know. I can't remember that they carried liquid chlorine either, but perhaps they did. I think this is what I stalled out on with our last pool - just obtaining the chlorine at a reasonable cost. But with the mess I have at the moment, a nearly-new plaster job that now seems to have scale - it's probably worth firing the pool service and taking it on myself, even if all I do is tote bleach from the store to the pool.

I will check some sources and if I find something cheaper I will definitely post it here.

Just found this company, they are in Bryan. http://hasapool.com/Home I can't tell from their website if they sell direct to consumers. There is no dealer given in Houston, but there are 3 in Dallas. Maybe we could start our own pool supply store for TFP's method? :) Only half-joking...

I will call them on Monday to inquire about getting their 12.5% sodium hypochlorite.

Oh, they also sell this product, which is very interesting to me.

http://hasapool.com/products/listing_detail.php?type=1088&id=5412

It might be. I have never priced it, because I thought it was just another gimmick to sell naive pool-building customers "It's not chlorine! It's salt!" Even now I hear people say their pool is "saltwater" and I want to scream and gnash my teeth.

It's not a gimmick at all. Even if the SWG was break-even price wise compared to dumping in bleach, the convenience factor makes it worth it. Once you understand how much chlorine your pool uses in different situations (avg daily temperature, pool parties, extra leaves in water, etc), you'll know how to dial-in the right settings for your chlorine generator. SWGs only cost a few dollars per month in electricity vs. $180 you're paying now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.