Problems with pclx3400 control Panel

Oct 11, 2014
Arlington, Texas
Sorry if this is the wrong Forum but I'm a new member (not really familiar on how to navigate on website). My pool equipment decided not to run anymore 2 days ago. I did the basic step; checked the circuit breaker and everything looked good. I noticed that control panel is dead with no lights at all (including the controller inside the house). Last night, I verified that the controller is getting 240V. I know this is an electrician task but was wondering if anybody knows what basic steps to take to verify panel board is operational:

Check transformer?
Check relays?
Check board panel?
Check 3V backup battery (I've already replaced it)?

Thanks

Sorry just getting back to your question. I took the power supply out to verify it with a multimeter and reinstalled back onto panel and then the green light came on. The system ran fine for a month and it just happened that is out again, I have done the same exercise and cant get the board to come on, I have disconnected and reconnected each connector on the back of the panel and nothing. I can see all relays in good shape (not burned) and the voltage getting to the box is correct. I dont know how to test the processor (I guess) or the center main box in the middle of board.
Is there another system cheaper than the board itself? Online looks like $600.

Thanks

There is a Compool to Easytouch upgrade that is designed to fit into your existing (compool) box. In a nutshell, you replace the board/panel door on the outside controller, transformer, and indoor control panel in the house (optional). you use the existing relays that are already hooked up, and spa side remote (if applicable). You will also need to replace your temp sensors (air, water, solar).

Just Google "Compool to easytouch upgrade" you should be able to find what you need.

Good luck.

I guess there is no way to test the board??? If I don't replace the control panel in the house, can I use the existing wiring? Does the upgrade come with all the schematics or diagrams? I see there is a kit that already includes the sensors? Do I need an expert technician to perform this updagrade?

Thanks

If your transformer is delivering 24-36 volts to the board and you have no lights (on the board), i would say the board is no longer functioning. there is no factory authorized repair for the board. I have heard of places online that will repair the board, but i (personally) know of none. Maybe someone here on the forum may know.

Upgrade is all or nothing. IOW, existing panel in the house may not be used with the upgrade. Only the existing wiring to the indoor control panel is reused (4 conductor), if you decide to get a new ICP. And as stated before, you don't need to purchase the indoor controller to make this upgrade work. It is more convenient to do so of course, but you can input all programming at the outdoor control panel if desired, unlike the Compool, Pentair Intellitouch, or other(s).

Well, after a lot of reading and searching the internet I decided to upgrade my old system with the new easytouch upgrade kit (521107). Based on the PENTAIR team, this is the kit compatible with my compool 3800 system where the transformer doesn't have to be replaced. I finally got my kit this week and decided (today) to install it. I'm done with the installation (did not replace or connected the in-house control panel since the current panel is not compatible to the new board) and I can't get the new board to come on, Once again I have verified that the tranformer is putting out the current values of 10VAC , 18VAC & about 26VAC and not sure what I'm missing. At this point I dont really know the new step to get this pool running, my understanding is that the indoor control panel system is not needed which is the only part that I left undone (I actually have the new water and air sensors already connected).

Did you verified these voltages with Pentair on the phone?, to verify you are getting the correct voltages on the correct pins? Also, verify voltages while the plug is plugged into the board (under load). Sometimes you will get the correct voltage when the xformer is idle, but voltage greatly drops off when a load is placed on it.

Sorry for updating the team, just got back from vacation. The board actually started working after letting it connected for about 30 minutes. I basically turned everything off and didn't go back after 30 minutes, I was ready to start working on it when I turned the switch and the board came on. The polaris cleaner pump acted the same way, I was able to turn on the bubbles for the spa but not the polaris, after a while the system worked just fine. I haven't programed the cycle times yet, but the freeze feature is working fine. Thanks for all the help, I can't explained how it finally started working but I'm happy that the new upgrade now works just fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My new board just went put 2 days ago. I have checked the transformer one more time and one of the circuits in not putting 10VAC out, I'm actually reading less than 5. I guess at this point I need to get the transformer replaced. I have already sent out a question to PENTAIR to get a part number compatible with the new board.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.