Survived First Year, now I've made a Closing Mistake.

Styxbb

May 5, 2014
Ohio
Switching to bleach has been interesting to say the least. It truly tested my patience with my first slam. I believe it took me 60 gallons of bleach before it came to an end. Now that it is closing time, actually a month past closing time. I made a mistake. I was going to take my pool to SLAM prior to closing this Sunday. Last night, I didn't have enough bleach to take it to SLAM, so I added 2 gallons to get headed in that direction. I stopped and picked up more bleach to take it the rest of the way this afternoon. I realized that I didn't check the pH and pool school said I should be at 7.4-7.6 for closing. I tested it and came up with about 8.0. So I added the 20 oz. of Muriatic Acid. Then my brain started buzzing. I my searches this spring, I'd read about high FC giving false pH readings. My current FC is 14. The question is, Do I continue going towards SLAM, or do I let it drift to below 10 and retest the pH? FWIW, my last pH test on 9/25 was 7.5. How false is my false reading???

Thanks

So the pH read 8 when the FC was 14ppm?
2 weeks ago the pH was 7.5?
How quickly has the pH been rising on you? For my pool, 2 weeks would easily rise from 7.5 to 8.

Being the FC was only a little above 10ppm, the pH test may not have been too far off. Of course the safest thing would be to let the FC drift down and check it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.