Pool Service didn't drop water under returns

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, I'm using a new pool service for our pool closing this year. When I've had my pool closed in the past, they drop the water below the returns so that they can blow the air out and then add the stoppers to the returns. The company I used this year didn't drop the water below the returns . Should I be concerned? The water is below the skimmer basket though.

Thanks!
Patty

Only concern, IMO, is that it makes the water level that much higher and you don't want it to reach the tile. I keep mine below the returns because I am paranoid the plugs will fall out of the returns and water will get in there and freeze. I have a tricky, angled return that is difficult to stay plugged. But I have read you don't have to have the water below the returns to blow out and close. I am sure some water would stay in the line but not much at all and definitely not enough to cause damage.

Hi, I'm using a new pool service for our pool closing this year. When I've had my pool closed in the past, they drop the water below the returns so that they can blow the air out and then add the stoppers to the returns. The company I used this year didn't drop the water below the returns . Should I be concerned? The water is below the skimmer basket though.

Thanks!
Patty

We use 1 1/2" threaded PVC plugs with o rings. I remove the entire return fitting and thread in the plug. Barring some very odd unforeseen circumstance it will not fail. But I have an autocover and cannot drop water below my returns. My biggest fear is that on the last return in line (farthest away from the pump) I use a one way valve, that could fail. Or the skimmer plug could fail, but I have a gizmo in there. And fill half way with antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have been in this crazy business for over thirty years and the only time we pump below the returns is when the home owner forgets to call and have the pool winterized. The fuller you keep the pool the less the chance of a liner floating or a fiberglass pool popping out of the ground.

Have been in this crazy business for over thirty years and the only time we pump below the returns is when the home owner forgets to call and have the pool winterized. The fuller you keep the pool the less the chance of a liner floating or a fiberglass pool popping out of the ground.

Why does it matter if they forget to call if you lower the water or not?

I closed my pool today and lowered the water level about an inch below the returns. I blew out the lines from the pump and never felt any air or water come out of the returns and very little if any come out of the skimmer's. I also never saw any bubbles come up from the main drain. I was using a compresser blowing about 30psi. I am hoping I got all the water out. I poured anti freeze in both skimmers. Is there much to be concerned with here?

samt have you ever put your arm in 30 or 40 degree water when ambient air temp is in the 30s. Not very fun that is the point I was getting at.

Water in the low 60's with ambient temps in the 50's is bad enough, thanks. I would pump it out too if the water was in the 40's.

I just worry about the crazy stuff happening, like a wet niche problem etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I closed my pool today and lowered the water level about an inch below the returns. I blew out the lines from the pump and never felt any air or water come out of the returns and very little if any come out of the skimmer's. I also never saw any bubbles come up from the main drain. I was using a compresser blowing about 30psi. I am hoping I got all the water out. I poured anti freeze in both skimmers. Is there much to be concerned with here?

U shoud be concerned compressor are garbage get a cyclone blower and everything will bubble

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.