Pebblesheen

Welcome!

Out here in West Tx, dark Blues and near Blacks are all the rage, but we wanted light blue. We customized our own color by blending two and we love it. Ours is in Quartz, but no matter, same result as colors are concerned. Keep in mind that the very Blue and dark Blue finishes in all materials are much more expensive.

Doners11_zps9de5bc4b.jpg

Thanks Brushpup! We've seen and discussed the higher priced, darker shades of pebblesheen and decided to spend our money somewhere else. I was hoping to get a few pics of pools with pebblesheen/tec/quartz shades in the mid-priced range...ie, not the very dark or very light. Those little samples they show are just too tough to extrapolate to a full pool with water.

You have a really nice set-up!

My wife and I have spent a lot of effort on exactly this topic over the last few months. We've spent countless hours online looking at samples and pics. We've visited several pools to see how the pebble/plaster coloring affects water color. Here is what we learned: There are many factors that impact water color, including pebble/plaster color, decking/coping color, reflection from house (house color), time of day, degree of cloudiness...and I'm beginning to think that moon phase and planetary alignment also have some non-trivial effects. ;)

In the grand scheme of things, there are about 3 options for water color:
1. Light Blue (white and light color finishes)
2. Dark Blue & black @ night (black and dark color finishes)
3. Greenish-blue (brown/tan color finishes)

The subtle differences within these 3 categories are more dictated by weather and pool surroundings. So I wouldn't overly stress about it. Decide which of the 3 general water colors you want and then let nature make it beautiful. Even though a lot of people (us included!) stress over this issue, think about this: Have you ever really seen an "ugly" water color as a result of bad plaster color selection? As long as the water is clean, the final result almost always looks perfect.

If I'm wrong, please let me know....we haven't gotten to plaster stage yet, so I can still change my mind on our color selection!

My wife and I have spent a lot of effort on exactly this topic over the last few months. We've spent countless hours online looking at samples and pics. We've visited several pools to see how the pebble/plaster coloring affects water color. Here is what we learned: There are many factors that impact water color, including pebble/plaster color, decking/coping color, reflection from house (house color), time of day, degree of cloudiness...and I'm beginning to think that moon phase and planetary alignment also have some non-trivial effects. ;)

In the grand scheme of things, there are about 3 options for water color:
1. Light Blue (white and light color finishes)
2. Dark Blue & black @ night (black and dark color finishes)
3. Greenish-blue (brown/tan color finishes)

The subtle differences within these 3 categories are more dictated by weather and pool surroundings. So I wouldn't overly stress about it. Decide which of the 3 general water colors you want and then let nature make it beautiful. Even though a lot of people (us included!) stress over this issue, think about this: Have you ever really seen an "ugly" water color as a result of bad plaster color selection? As long as the water is clean, the final result almost always looks perfect.

If I'm wrong, please let me know....we haven't gotten to plaster stage yet, so I can still change my mind on our color selection!

Well said, Jay!

How green is greenish-blue? Like clear river green (think Comal or Guadalupe)?

Well said, Jay!

How green is greenish-blue? Like clear river green (think Comal or Guadalupe)?

I don't think so. Rivers tend to have a lot of sediment stirred up, which really impact the optics. The sediment will absorb some light wave lengths and reflect others, so rivers always look greenish. Your pool shouldn't have sediment (I hope!).

Even though you're not going with Wet Edge Technologies for your pool, take a look at their web site. I think they do a better job of showing how pebble color affects water color. Here is a link to their NorthShore Gold color. The pool picture on this page shows the blue-green color I was referring to. If you have a lot of large trees (green) or darker color house reflecting into your water, it will be darker. Conversely, lighter color surroundings will lighten the color up a bit. I tend to like this color, even though it's not what we selected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well heck, Jay. Turns out I really prefer the darker colors, like Northshore Tahoe.

That's the color I picked for my pool. I really like it. Don't forget to get the mother of pearl added to it for extra sparkle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.