Metchlor chlorinator?

tigerucla

LifeTime Supporter
I have been reading about the Liquidator, and it seems like it might not be a good fit for us. Our variable speed pump is below pool level and the pH tends to run naturally high.

The Metchlor chlorinator seems like it might be a good option, but I can't find much info on it. Is anyone using it? My first concern is pumping undiluted chlorine (I usually use 12.5%) directly into the pump via the drain plug.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've researched the Metchlor/Dynachlor units and they rely on the suction head at the pump to work just like the LQ (Liquidator) does. Since you state that you have a variable speed pump and that it sits below the pool level, I bet you don't have enough suction head to make either work. You're best bet is either a swcg or an injection pump and tank that actively adds chlorine.

As for your specific question about pumping undiluted bleach into the suction of the pump, it raises the FC in the water stream such a small amount that damaging the equipment is really not a concern.

Very little talk on here about it. If I remember I could only find one or two that had it and no long time reports. It is vacuum drawn so it will always change. Several years ago I built one and it really did not work. I had a plastomatic solenoid laying around. The setup was the same as the metchlor. With a clean filter I would draw almost 55 oz per min from the drain plug. When the pressure rose to backwash I would only draw about 20 oz a min. The other thing is most timers is a minimum of one minute so at 55 oz I would over shoot chlorine. As my filter worked I would under shoot unless I adjusted the time. Your best bet would be a stenner. Got mine at US Water and I'm glad I did. It's almost set and forget.

Thanks guys. Really useful info, as always.

From what I've read on other posts, it sounds as if people like Stenner pumps. (I'm too cheap to go with a swcg.) Are there any threads which detail how to install a pump? It looks like I would need a pump, a tank, and a timer. Do I need an electrical outlet near the equipment as well?

On the Stenner pump you're right about needing a pump, tank and timer. They're easy to install and there are several threads where people have installed one.

You will need a source of power near the equipment. By code you should already have one.

Odd question here- our sprinkler timer is right next to our pool equipment and has unused zones. Can I use that with the Stenner pump?
While I'm sure something could be rigged up, don't add a layer of complexity to your pool to cause problems later.

How do you time your pump now? I just used my Intermatic pump timer to power up a 220v receptacle that I plugged the stenner into. When the pump is running the outlet is hot and the stenner can pump. But, the stenner has it's own on;off switch so you can shut it down if you like and they are available with models that allow you to turn down the % of injection.

HERE is my install.

My pump has a built in timer. I'm not comfortable with electrical, so if there's no outlet, I guess I'll have to get one out.

So it sounds like the Stenner pump can somehow be tied to the pool pump so that it can only dispense chlorine when the pool pump is going? I'm assuming the timer would have to be on its own power so it doesn't get turned off when the pool pump is off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.