PH 7.5
ALK 120
CH 210
CYA 48-52

I also have Taylor copper and iron tests and AquaChek salt strips:

Copper 0.15
Iron 0
Salt 3600

I am mostly happy with these levels, even if some of them are higher than my ideal goal. This leaves plenty of room for backwashing and splash out. I am a little concerned with the copper number because I am not sure where it is comming from. I suppose it is probably from the heating coil from the low PH when we bought the house, but I keep hoping there is another explanation. Our fill water tests at zero.

Hi Jasonlion
I have a fiberglass pool and i am always looking into methods to test for metals. I Have always used the taylor k-2006 test kit and have never used the metal tests from taylor. I have never herd much on this board about the testing of metals in this way. Next time you do a calcium hardness test ( you already know you have metal in the water) see if at the end point of the test if it turns to red and then reverts back to the original color after a few more drops it would go to red. This is how i have always tested for metal and then i would take appropriate measures. Question was the metal test from taylor easy to use and did taylor send info on getting the copper out other then using metal magic or similar products.
Thanks Jasonlion Ric W

There was no extra information in the Taylor kits beyond the mechanics of doing the tests. Leslies has a great price on the copper kit right now. The iron kit is much more expensive. The iron test has a two minute wait and warnings about one of the reagents being hazardous. Other than the wait both are easy to do. The copper test was interesting because you look down the long axis of the tube for the color comparison. I hadn't seen a test done that way before.

I have never had any stains beyond the temporary ones leaves sometimes make. Supposedly copper below 0.2 doesn't normally cause stains. That would appear to fit my situation, except that last fall I did a tremendous amount of water replacement to get the CYA levels from the previous owner down. If the copper levels date back to when we bought the house they should have been high enough to cause stains back then.

I don't think I followed what you suggested trying on the CH test. The TF Test Kit CH test did a strange thing I have heard described as metal interference. On the final drop while swirling the color flickered back and forth a few times while tiny white flecks seemed to spin around for perhaps 20 seconds. Then it settled down to blue (starts red, ends blue).

With the WalMart HTH six way test kit, on the CH test the initial red disappeared while I was mixing in the indicator, even before I started adding the titrant. Suggestions to add some titrant before the indicator didn't help. It was impossible to get a CH reading with this kit and my water.

Yes you are right it does end blue dont know what i was thinking. I was just wondering if you had seen the metals affecting the ch test thanks for the info on the metal tests from taylor was hopping for a great new product that would zap the metal out.
have a nice swim Ric W

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.