Type of pump for 9000 gal pull (with image)

Oct 8, 2014
San Francisco
Hello i am designing a LAP POOL dimesion 45' x 7'-6" x 3'-6" (it's about 9000 Gal.)

no water feature no spa just a simple lap pool to swim

which type of pump would you suggest i was thinking about a pentair variable speed (how many HP .75? 1?)

some render i made of the project (the house will be built at same time, there is nothing there right now and i am free to choose any type of system obviously not one exaggeratedly expensive but neither the cheapest a good balance)

rGWUtPl.jpg

MMKN19i.jpg

what the size of filter and all those stuff do i need? This is the first time i design a home with a pool. Something generic just to have an idea so i can narrow down my research.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well assuming you are not looking to use the pump for swimming resistance, you only need a 1HP pump at the largest. I would highly suggest a 2-speed (like the Pentair Superflo or Hayward Super Pump) or one of the smaller VS pumps (like Pentair Max-flo VS or Hayward Super Pump VS}. {FYI, there is no such thing as a 0.75 or 1 HP VS pump ... there are some 2-speeds though}

For filter size, generally the bigger the better, but this is a pretty small pool. So, I would suggest at least a 150 sqft cartridge filter, or a 18" sand filter or a 36 sqft DE filter. These would be fine, although going bigger will reduce the frequency of cleaning.

Now for the other questions:
What type of cleaner are they going to use?
How are they going to chlorinate the pool?

Thx for the quick replay,

You assume correct there will be no "Resistance swimming"

I though there were .75 (i am quite new to projecting swimming pools) so i guess 1HP as you said is the right one.

I was thinking about Variable speed i dont know how much difference is the price of the pump/system between a 2 speed and variable but when you are building the all house the difference in price is quite insignificant compared to the price of the house and I want it to be as energy efficient as possible.

I will probably oversize the filter a little since 1HP seem already quite powerfull for the size of my pool it should not have problem to handle a bigger filter

Between the 3 filter system (that i will go research now) which one would be best?

Thanks for the last 2 question i will start research those two sobject as well... I will get back as soon as i will be able to specify which filter and cleaning/chlorinate systems

I did my homework ^_^

Filter i was thinking
or DE (pentair SMBW 4048 - 47sqf)
or CARTRIDGE (CCRP200 - 200sqf)

as pump i really dont understand the difference between these 2
Pentair SuperfloVS
OR
Pentair SupermaxVS
(they even cost the same!)

I am sure someone will be able to show some light without me going through the spec-sheet... i downloaded them but i will go through them tonight (or wait that pentair call me back ^_^ and ask directly at them)

How to clean the pool: I would say Suction Pool Cleaner (and if the owner is really lazy i will tell him to go Robotic / Electronic Automatic Pool Cleaners)

Chlorine: to make it easy i would say "LIQUID" but if someone can point me in the direction of any intresting TABLET system i don't mind looking at it

I am really not sure there is any reason to go with a DE filter that big. But should not hurt anything.
There are trade-offs with the filter types. See the Construction area of Pool School.

The Max-flo and Superflo VS pump are very similar. There are small differences in the head curves. Be aware that these VS pump need an external timer to turn them on and off. They will then run on 1 speed for a set amount of time and then switch to another speed until the timer turns it off. There is a 3rd speed you can pick manually. One issue with this is that with a suction cleaner it may only work well on the higher speed and not work well on the lower speed. You should add a separate wall port for the cleaner. An realize that the skimming will not work well on low speed when the vacuum port is still open ... this would point to the desire for an automation system, BUT, the small VS pump do not integrate will into these systems.

I would lean toward a robot. But if you go with a suction cleaner, get The Pool Cleaner.

Going with a tablet chlorine system is s really bad idea. Stick with liquid (automated peristalic pump or the Liquidator (not ideal for VS pumps)) or SWG. See How to Chlorinate Your Pool

i know the DE is big... i couldn't find a medium size... i was thinking to use the EC90 EasyClean D.E. Filter (30 sqf) but then it would be too small i rather go a little big bigger then smaller really we are talking about a difference in price that is quite small unless having a filter too big has any serious negative influence.

Yes I did read the pro and cons of the filter system and I came down to DE or Cartridge 50-50

I have no real preference over the two, if it was my pool and not my client i would go DE this is why i would consider DE as first option. (I don't mind to go easyclean EC90 if is reasonable sized)

Personally i really think i should use a VS system as the home itself is all about saving energy and since suction seem to waste water as well i will convince the client to go with the Robotic solution. (i am sure the builder will know about the timer but i will make sure to put a not in the drawings)

Finally I am totally sold on the SWG i will now research about it how big should it be? IntelliChlor IC20 or IC40?

The EC90 is a different style of DE filter so it can be a little smaller. There are plenty of 36 sqft "normal" DE filters. If you go WAY too big with a DE or sand filter, then there could be issues with backwashing with a small pump. Not likely in this case.

For SWG , we recommend sizing for 1.5-3 times the size of the pool. So, a 20k system should be fine for a 9k pool. Note that I would not recommend using natural stone around the pool if you go salt and there are cases where the salt damages the stone.

So do your clients not have any say in this pool? Are they aware of all the option as far as cleaning methods, etc? Or are you just supposed to make a recommendation?

Yes the pump is 1.5Hp it should be all right with the 47sqf DE but i will make sure

I know there are 36 i guess i could go with the FNSP36... in case the SMBW is too big (or i could start to look at the other manufactures, but i was planning to do that after i get a couple of quote with Pentair)

I will make sure to pay attention if we use natural stone, even if in the render i was showing a wood deck (but those things can change)

I am gathering the information to ask 2 or 3 quote and then present the result.
An healthy relationship between architect and client is based on trust.

I am lucky to have him as client and he is lucky he got an architect that love to make things right.
The pool is obviously not the only thing i am researching right now in the house (If i only had to do the pool i would probably make the client more involved in the process.)

there are 2 type of roof garden
solar panels systems
full size windows + glazing type
title 24
HVAC system
water heater/plumbing
Electric system
stairs
landscape
structure
railing/access restriction/alarms
Bathroom ceramics/and fixture
hardware
recycle rain water
and so much more....

if he starts questioning every decision we are never going to finish the house.

I studied architecture several years to be able to take those decision this is what we are paid for.

This morning i knew nothing about pool now i still know nothing but i know what to ask if i talk to someone that actually knows and i can vaguely understand his answer good enough to make more question!
If i have to keep him in the loop the 2 day i need now to have an idea about the pool would turn in 3/4 weeks....time to prepare the material organize a meeting reviewing the decision and so on so on...

Trusting your architect if he has your interest at heart is the best way to save money and time.

(unfortunately not all architect has the client best interest at heart or are to lazy to keep researching new technology/material and they tend to do what they have always done over and over is easier and safer...that's why the client now think it is normal to question everything)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.