zethacat

LifeTime Supporter
I bought some granular stabilizer from Home Depot today and the instructions said to pour it slowly into the skimmer.. so that's what I did. Almost 4 lbs of it. Then I looked up on TFP how to add CYA and it said to put it in a sock. There's a bunch of it sitting in the skimmer now.. but I have the pump running at full speed. Should I be worried? It's the first time I've ever added it.. brand new pool.

I done that once. The water couldnt hardly get through because the granules were in the way. When the granules get small enough they will go through the skimmer basket and then be stuck in the filter until they fully dissolve. It takes awhile for them to dissolve. Just dont backwash for a week or you may backwash your stabilizer out.

Yes it's ok. Just stir the granules in the skimmer with the pump running and they will be sucked to the filter. Just remember not to backwash for several days. We suggest the sock because so many people forget, and backwash all their new stabilizer.

OK. I when I checked this morning they were all gone. Nothing in the skimmer, nothing in the filter, and my CYA is 30 (up from 0)! :) I was worried more about damaging my equipment than anything else. PB started up the filter without DE and says they do not add DE for the first 30 days. But the manual says not to run the filter without DE for more than 3 minutes. ? So hopefully I don't burn a hole through those elements.

How do you know there is nothing still in the filter? :scratch:

I am not sure I agree with the builder about running without DE.

I am sure he means in the sight glass or basket strainer. I have done that with stabilizer in the skimmer basket and felt the same way.

And had to wait to backwash ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the filter comes with DE already in it, Im positive there is none in there. The person who started the equipment said they dont add any for the first 30 days. I called Pentair and they said the filter should definitely not be run without DE and that after this amount of time the elements will need a light acid wash at the very least. So Im not happy about this. Should I demand replacement elements from PB or just an acid wash?

EDIT: (I mistyped, I meant nothing in the skimmer or pump.. I have no idea whats in the filter .. probably at least a pound of CYA based on this mornings test plus all the plaster dust since startup)

I would make them do something about the filters. With no DE, all the little plaster dust is clogging up the cartridges which is not going to be removed from backwashing alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.