Pool Research - San Antonio Tx

jagger2005

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2014
San Antonio, TX
My first post!! The first thing I need to decide is gunite or fiberglass. My house was built in 2008, I have records for the soil evaluation from them. Sand until 16 ft deep. At 16 ft is sandy/clay and they hit water at 24 ft. Just looking at my foundation, I can state that I have 3ft of slope across 70 ft in distance.

I talked to gunite builder and FG builder and to no surprise both were the best solution for the sandy soil. Any suggestions and what would be the best solution for the sandy soil? I am also curious on what would be the recommended minimum distance from my slab foundation? Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I don't know a thing about the distance from foundation, and not sure it is that critcal. However, there are some really good builders down there, and I would consult one of them. I would nudge you to gunite, but that is my personal preference by far. Just make sure they put in a crushed rock/gravel bottom. A reputable builder will do that, or what is needed for the soil down there.

Yeah, like brushpup says, I think the end user characteristics of masonry and FG are FAR more important on their adaptability to sandy soil. Both should perform equally well and, unless someone local can give you a common sense answer as to why one or the other should not be used, I would learn more about the characteristics of the pools that will affect you directly......look, touch, size, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.