Pools and Children - Safety Fence Questions

Apr 27, 2014
Central FL
Hello I have just purchased pool with a home and I have 2 small children. The first order of business is going to be installing a Child Safety Pool Fence, among other safeguards.

I am here for one main question: Can anyone with experience/knowledge of several brands/types recommend a particular product? The internet has seemingly hundreds of different options, and I want to be sure I am getting the most reliable.

I plan to span it the entire width of the pool from one end of the enclosure to the other, completely blocking it. I also will install it myself. Just need product recommendation.

Thank you for your help with this all-too-important question!

I chose a "Protect a Child" fence, as it's my primary fence, and it's maybe the only one that can pass NY State code as a primary pool barrier.

I install many things myself. I would never install this myself...get a hole in the concrete off by just a little, and you'll have a major issue with the fence not fitting or not being tight.

We are quite happy with it.

Do you have a current fence? If so, how high. Please attach pictures, etc. One would assume you have a fence as codes are written nationally. Here in NJ you must have a 4' barrier with all sort of rules. It is difficult to recommend any type of fencing. They have aluminum, wood, chain link & PVC.

I would recommend highly that you do your research on the internet and look at some pictures and so on. Then work form that point on. Once you pick out a fence style, then the next step is reading up on quality, guarantee's, etc. I have a 6' high 8' wide White PVC fence with spindles and aluminum supports. The posts are 9 ' long and the front of the home is 4.5' black aluminum. There are also codes for self latching gates.

Please make sure you obtain the proper permits either to swap out an existing fence or putting a new fence around the pool only and maybe not the perimeter.

I would definitely not suggest installing the fence yourself. This is one of those projects that may be left to a professional. This all depends on your time and budget. Most fence companies receive a discount so chances are you would not be saving any money unless you went to a Lowes or Home Depot to purchase your fence. Shop around. Keep us posted.

I have had my Guardian fence for 4 years and I'm 100% happy with the quality and performance. I had the 5 foot tall pet mesh fence along with a safety gate installed by one of their reps. As far as a DIY it can be done if you have the right tools and can operate them correctly. You need to drill holes in the correct spot and at the correct angles to make sure the fence is tight.

As far as the other companies quality I can not say one way or another.

Do you have a current fence? If so, how high. ...................
Please make sure you obtain the proper permits either to swap out an existing fence or putting a new fence around the pool only and maybe not the perimeter. ..........................
I think you misinterpreted my question. I already have a fence around the yard and a pool screen enclosure. This is not to meet codes to have a pool, it's to protect my children and their friends from accessing the pool.

I chose a "Protect a Child" fence
I have had my Guardian fence for 4 years and I'm 100% happy with the quality and performance.
Thank you both for the recommendations. At first glance, they both look good and reputable. I will contact them for further information.

I do have the necessary tools for this installation from work, and a close contractor friend of mine that is helping with several other renovations/remodeling is going to assist with the install.

It looks like it would work fine for the most part. It is bulky and would be a lot more trouble taking it down if required, we take ours down whenever we have a party. One other thing I could see being a problem is if the length of fence required does not match the base width. How do they accommodate for a short panel?

Did you try talking to an actual pool fence company? We had to get one on our new house last year and they put in a professional looking iron fence for not all that much money.

In our case we pretty much had to do that as the state was inspecting it because we had foster children, and the fence builder knew all the regulations etc... I still would have gone that route and not done a DIY, though.

I chose a "Protect a Child" fence, as it's my primary fence, and it's maybe the only one that can pass NY State code as a primary pool barrier.

I install many things myself. I would never install this myself...get a hole in the concrete off by just a little, and you'll have a major issue with the fence not fitting or not being tight.

We are quite happy with it.

I had the same fence. I recently switched to a Katchakid net afeter a remodel. Anyway, I installed the fence myself. They loan you the drill and fixture. Very easy with the template provided. Missing a hole location by an inch or so will not keep it from working. I had no choice but to do it myself, there are no dealers around here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was seriously considering purchasing a kit from diypoolfence.com but decided against adding a fence all together. However, if I do add one, that's what I'll get. It only requires 1/2" holes and they loan you the drill and guide. The panels are adjustable if you miss, so exact precision is not required.

I had my pool installed last fall. I did the fence myself. A fence installer that I am friendly with (no longer lives near me or I would have had him install) recommended a fence from Jerith Mfg http://www.jerith.com/. I was looking for a black powder coat aluminum fence and opted for this model http://www.jerith.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/CP4-AEELB54.jpg (not my house or pool, this is a stock photo from their website)
I have never installed a fence in my life. Not only did I install this fence, but I also installed a gate with self closing hinges and self latching latch. I even dug all the post holes by hand because I figured it would take me several days and didn't want to rent the auger 3-4 times from Home Depot. Had I known how easy this fence would go in, I would have rented the auger and finished the job in one day. I finished 3/4 of the entire fence in roughly 8 hours while digging the holes manually. In total, I installed roughly 150 feet of fencing and 27 posts. The fence passed all pool/fence codes for Pennsylvania and the inspector even complimented the work. I can add a picture when I get home from work. Its definitely not a privacy fence though if that is what you are looking for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.