polyquat?

Sep 8, 2014
Los Angeles CA
Hi, I heard that if algaecide is to be used polyquat is the one to use. Are there any disadvantages or possible health hazards from it? Does it stay in the water for good, break down into something bad or go away? What do you guys think of the Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide? Does it have copper as well or other nasty stuff?

Kem Tek Pool & Spa Care Algaecide 60% Concentrated is 60% Polyquat without copper or anything else you don't want.

Polyquat gets slowly oxidized by chlorine so you need to replenish it weekly to maintain a reasonable level (roughly one-third breaks down each week). Since it is also a clarifier, it will get caught in the filter if there are particles in the water to consolidate (including algae).

Algaecide is unnecessary if one maintains the proper Free Chlorine (FC) level for the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level.

I dumped a bottle in and circulated for an hour before I closed the pool. Does that mean I could have just put a $20 bill in the water and got the same effect?

Zimm, what is your water temp? I'm very close to your location and my water is holding steady at 66 degrees. I put my mesh safety cover on last month because of the leaves and I think that has kept my water temps high.

I actually didn't look when I closed it on Sunday. It was 70 last week. With these few cold mornings, should be low 60's by now. I put my loop loc on labor day weekend because of the leaves. I drain the pool down to winter levels and let the pump run 4hrs a day until the water gets cold enough.

I closed last year in Sept with water in the mid 70's and it was barely green when I opened this past spring. Used polyquat 60 and put FC to 25 before shutting down.

I think I read that there is only one manufacturer of polyquat. The people below just bottle it at different percentages so just pick the one that costs the least.
Here are some 60% polyquats which usually comes out to be the cheapest of the different percentages:

Aqua Guard Algaecide 60% Concentrated
Baquacil Performance Algicide
BioGuard Inhibit Algae All 60
GLB Algimycin 600
HDX Algaecide 60% Concentrate
In The Swim Algaecide 60 Plus
Leslies Algae Control
Kem Tek 60% Algaecide Concentrate
Omni Multi-Purpose Algaecide 60
Poolife AlgaeBomb 60 Algaecide
Pool Pals 6-0 Poly Algaecide
ProGuard 60% Algicide
ProTeam Polyquat 60
Vantage Algaecide 60 Plus

You can use this calculator to figure up what it costs. Polyquat is near the bottom. If you hold your cursor over the chemical name it will show you some different brands.
http://jfhtm350.webs.com/pool/ChemicalCostCalculator.html

I dumped a bottle in and circulated for an hour before I closed the pool. Does that mean I could have just put a $20 bill in the water and got the same effect?
No, the algaecide does actually do something and if the water is cold and you are closing the algaecide may last longer than the chlorine so continue to inhibit algae longer through the winter. However, the least expensive approach is to wait until the water is as cold as possible, say even below 50ºF, and then add a good deal of chlorine, say a half-shock level (i.e. FC that is 20% of the CYA level) and then in the spring open up before the water gets above 50ºF. The chlorine may very well still be there to some degree and you are unlikely to have any algae. This assumes some sort of cover is used that prevents too much junk getting into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.