When is water too cold for taking a dive?

Sep 11, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
My IG pool has two return jets on the shallow end that are about 3 ft below the water surface. My PB advised that they would need to be blown out and plugged like the rest of the returns to winterize. That means I have to take one more dip this fall.

I'm familiar with the 60 degree water temp rule, but just dipping my toes into the current 72 degree water is making me nervous about being able to stand it at 60 degrees (I've seen stories about the polar bear divers but I'm not one of those people)!

Anyone have any experience in cool or cold water? I'm sure I will be working VERY quickly but at what temp does it get really uncomfortable -- or even dangerous?

You can do it, but your time in the water will be very limited.

The difference between your skin temp and the water temp will determine your heat loss. It only takes a few minutes for your core temp to be dragged down to dangerous levels with that much heat loss. You can calculate it, for a more exact working time frame.

Welcome to TFP!

Cold tolerance to the water varies among individuals and their overall health, especially heart and circulatory condition. Most people I know in these parts will not get into a pool unless the water temperature is at or above 80°F whereas many athletes will jump into a plunge pool with water temps in the 50's °F and remain there for around 10-15 minutes after a good workout (doing this is supposed to help mitigate muscle soreness). There are also those that live along the US Pacific coast or the North Atlantic coast who will take a dip in the ocean, despite water temps in the upper 50's to low 60's - it's what they're used to.

My personal low temp limit for getting into the pool is a water temp around 65°F, though I definitely prefer it to be warmer. When I'm in the water at that temperature, I'm doing laps at a rather rapid rate, so I do warm up a bit after several minutes. I remain in the water for around 30 minutes.

The biggest risk of immersing yourself in cold water is hypothermia. Obviously, the colder the water, the sooner hypothermia can set in. However, a person's risk of hypothermia at any given water temperature increases with age.

Let's explore a couple of options that may eliminate the need to immerse yourself into the water. How deep is your pool? If you drain the water below the return lines and can stand in the pool at that water level and comfortably access the return lines, you could wear water-proof waders as do fly fishermen who fish in cold water. Another option is a wet or dry diving suit - though that may be an expensive option for such limited use.

Welcome to TFP!

Let's explore a couple of options that may eliminate the need to immerse yourself into the water. How deep is your pool? If you drain the water below the return lines and can stand in the pool at that water level and comfortably access the return lines, you could wear water-proof waders as do fly fishermen who fish in cold water. Another option is a wet or dry diving suit - though that may be an expensive option for such limited use.

Very informative reply, BoDarville, and a great tip on the waders! The two lower returns are 3 ft below the surface and 6" off the floor (total 3.5 ft deep). I plan to drain the water down 7" to get below the skimmer, so that would leave me in 2.5' to 3' of water. I've got a friend that's an avid duck hunter so he's probably got a pair of waders I can use. I may have to drain down a little further than I originally planned to get the jets within arms reach, but a very good option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.