Doing the TFP method with a couple of questions

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Did a full drain 2 weeks ago, been testing daily with TF-100 kit. Got the CYA up to 45-50 using liquid conditioner. Today's test results

FC 1.8
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 130
CH 270
CY 45-50

Questions are, I was wondering if I should be concerned about my TA level, and also is it normal to have to add liquid chlorine on a daily basis. I have been using liquid chlorine from the pool store with a 10% grade since it is cheaper than bleach, in so doing trying to maintain a 3.0 reading

Yes, it is normal to test and dose FC/CC & pH daily. All the other tests can be done weekly except for cya which can probably be tested monthly. What told you 3FC is adequate for your pool? Have you tested the TA of your fill water?

Your FC is a MUCH greater concern than the TA. According to the FC/CYA Chart, with a CYA of 50ppm, you should NEVER let the FC drop below 4ppm ... so likely should target 7ppm with your daily chlorine addition.

Looks like you missed the pH test also.

The first problem I see is that you are targeting FC way too low. FC for a CYA of 50 should NEVER be below 4 with a normal target of 6. Being in Phoenix i would even raise that target to 7 or 8. The goal is to NEVER allow it to go below 4. If you adjust to 8 on a nice sunny Phoenix day you could easily drop 2 - 3 ppm in a day. Bring that FC up before algae can get a foothold in your pool.

Before I adjusted TA I would watch pH for a while. if it naturally rises like in most pools you will be addign muratic acid to bring it down.. The TA will come down with that.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks for the info.........I just now remembered where I got the 3.0 info off the chart as I was adding the solid conditioner initially it was at 15 CYA using the solid conditioner.......so will address the chlorine immediately and raise it to 7ppm and I will test the hose water that was used to fill the pool for a TA test just to know what it is coming out of the hose. As always thank you guys for the info.......I will eventually get the hang of this......fortunately the water is crystal clear.......

I just added the 128 oz. of chlorine per the calculator to get up to 7.0 and also tested my hose water for TA and it is 140 coming out of the hose, so it looks like I will be continually battling the high TA count

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.