Has anyone ever forgotten to remove their pool thermometer when winterizing?

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL
First year pool owner, in Illinois where it gets very cold. We were so methodical about winterizing the pool, but unfortunately we forgot the pool thermometer was never removed from the pool, dah! We have the winter cover on, wrapped it in that saran wrap type plastic to protect from the wind and then realize the thermometer is still in the pool. It was a cheap thermometer hanging on a rope. Although I looked at it daily, I don't know if it is plastic or glass, guessing plastic, purchased for about $8 to $12 at local pool store. We believe at least part of it is in the water. A friend thinks the worst that will happen is it will crack but not burst glass (if it is glass) fragments into water. I have no idea what is in the thermometer to register the temp.

Can anyone weigh in on this, do we need to remove the thermometer? Thanks

No big deal I say. Most thermometers with red liquid are alcohol or other organic solvent based. So the liquid itself is no problem. If it does burst, there will be very little glass, if any that falls in pool, if it is even glass.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

If your concerned about it, why not just take it out ?
I just remove mine. ��

I assume this his is IN the pool in its entirety, and he used teh shrink wrap on the pool cover - he does not want to undo that.

I doubt he will have any problems with it. He may need a new thermometer, but that is about it.

-dave

Most of the thermometers I found by Google go down to 10 degrees F which tells me they shouldn't freeze as that is 22 degrees below freezing. Add that to the fact that its out of the wind and in water, I think you will be fine. How cold does it get there?

It got down to the negative single digits (-5?) by us last winter and we are not far from the op. I would just leave it and pick up a new one in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happened to me on year and the thermometer was ok, but part of the clear plastic cover broke. I'm still using it as the thermometer itself still works. I just had to vacuum up the clear plastic bits which was small potatoes compared to the number of worms, worms are really yucky!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.