Algae outside the pool

We have a birdcage and there is algae (I assume) on it. My husband power washes it occasionally and of course the runoff gets into the pool. Should we raise the chlorine in the pool before he cleans the cage to prevent it growing in the pool? I don't think there is any way to add bleach to the power washer but if there was would that do it?

We also have algae in some of the cracks in the pool deck and at the base of the birdcage. :hammer: I guess this might explain our algae problem.

I would bump up your FC BEFORE you wash the cage.

Perhaps you could put some bleach water in a pressure sprayer and apply it to the algae spots on the cage and patio before you powerwash it. Then you would only be getting dead algae into the pool.

Some pressure washers can run bleach, some cannot. It depends on whether the intake is before or after the pump. If it's before the pump it can ruin the washer. My craftsman has the intake after the pump and I can run pool chlorine through it.
Usually the instruction manual will tell you what cleaning compounds are safe to use in your pressure washer.

waterbear

Do you mean you can run pool chlorine through or you have? What kind of situation would need running pool chlorine thru the pressure washer?

I have a terra cotta tile roof that's in need of cleaning. I've seen cleaners clean other roofs and it smells like bleach but now I wonder if they use chlorine.

Jenn_in_FL said:
waterbear

Do you mean you can run pool chlorine through or you have? What kind of situation would need running pool chlorine thru the pressure washer?

I have a terra cotta tile roof that's in need of cleaning. I've seen cleaners clean other roofs and it smells like bleach but now I wonder if they use chlorine.

Jenn, bleach IS chlorine!! 8) The 'pool chlorine' or 'liquid shock' is a higher concentration (10 or 12%) whereas regular bleach is 6%.

My suggestion was using a pump-up pressure sprayer, like you would use for bug spray or gardening.

My powerwasher is a dinky electric thing, but I can attach a container with bleach or cleaner right near the trigger, so it does not go thru the machine at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.