Recently replaced the filter top multiport valve and see sand coming out.

Jun 5, 2012
Hi All,

Recently i replaced my sand filter top multiport valve. After run the filter, i see some sand in my pool and I vacuum the sand back to filter, but later a day i still see sand in my water. Is it normal some sand out when you replace your top valve?

Also is it OK i vacuum back sand to filter? Or i have to waste away the sand from the pool?

It's fine to vacuum the sand back into the filter......that's actually the best.

I agree with JamesW, if you are still seeing it after 24 hours, something is probably not put back together or broken. Did you check the seating of the round gasket in the multi-port for a good fit?

Our long time member, Richard 320, says, "the last thing you worked on is the first thing that breaks!"

Recheck all your work on the multi-port.

Hi, the pool guy told me when valve came off it most likely pulled stand pipe out from laterals. It's glued but as time goes on it can move. Is it true?

Or i should call other pool store to check for me?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone have valve replaced and sand out from filter? and later fine? I'm still not understand, if it's glued, it should be not many sand. Also i vacuum few times and the sand keep back to pool.

If the sand keeps coming back, you probably have some sort of internal damage to the standpipe, hub or laterals. If you want to resolve the problem, you're probably going to have to remove the sand and check.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.