Coolest things you've found in your skimmer

Nice little yellow spotted salamander. We have had toads and Texas spiny lizards in our baskets. Only one toad was still alive.

I've occasionally had shoulderless critters in mine most of them have died, but now and then one will still be alive. I live near a lake, and have had copperheads in my yard. I don't know if they're swimmers, but I've netted a few snakes swimming in my pool--don't know what they are.

I haven't found any snakes in my pool, but I did watch a little one go under my house about 20 ft from the pool. I didn't realize how common that salamander was until I looked it up. Still the first one like it I've ever seen. I did have a much smaller dark reddish one earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just find mostly bugs in the skimmer, but we have raccoons that will come and swim in the pool and I think there washing there food on the first step before they eat it. Sometimes I find chicken bones and other stuff in the morning on the first step with little wet foot prints going across the deck.

Also one time I look out and there was a duck in the pool. I think it was a Mallard.

We have quail that come back each year to raise a new generation in our back yard. The mother always parades them up and down along the pool deck. Each year there are a couple of casualties. I have only been successful in rescuing one or two.

Did have something crazy in my pool for a bit. Turned out to just be my mother-in-law. We do refer to her as the "old bat", so I guess that qualifies.....

I guess that counts! I had a real bat swoop down either to get a bug or a drink one evening. He got too close and splatted on the surface of the water. Took him a couple seconds to get enough lift to break free of the water.

We have quail that come back each year to raise a new generation in our back yard. The mother always parades them up and down along the pool deck. Each year there are a couple of casualties. I have only been successful in rescuing one or two.

We get bobwhite quail but I have never seen one in or by the pool. But our cover is closed 90% of the time and the take off when we go outside. We have 40 acres if field next to us. I bet there are thousands in there since my lab died and is not out there to terrorize them.

A few days ago I accidentally ran over a small black snake with the mower. It was about a foot long and no bigger than a pencil. The next day I almost stepped on this one while headed out to turn my pump on for a bit. I was looking at the number of leaves on the surface and bottom of the pool, determining my plan of attack, and didn't see it til my foot was headed down right in front of it. I believe it was a black rat snake. Every bit of 3.5ft long. It never acted aggressive in any way. I nudged it with a pool noodle, it flicked its tongue twice, and went back to the woods. Everybody at work thinks I must live in a jungle because of all the stuff I run into. Nope. Just a few miles from them. Amazing what you see when you pay attention I guess. Or don't pay attention in this case. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.