Just starting BBB method...

We have been trying to drain the pool and cannot figure out how AT ALL. Our deep end filter doesnt work (never was hooked up to the system) and we have no idea how to get water out of here.

This is very frustrating.

This is IMPOSSIBLE with 3 small kids--- this has taken over 10 hrs this weekend and it's impossible to do this AND parent small children.

It is frustrating and you can only do so much and your kids should be your first priority. Once you tackle this beast, you will be in total control of your pool. Once you get your water clear, you won't have to worry about shocking the pool, your water will never sting anyone eyes, and your water will always sparkle and you will save a ton of money that you were wasting at the pool store.

This problem wasn't caused overnight and it will take some time to get rid of it. The good news is that you have a cartridge filter which will clear you pool faster than a sand filter.

You could vacuum to waste, but it is possible that your pump will loose prime when the water drops below the skimmers.

If you can't vacuum to waste, you can rent a submersible pump from home depot. I think you have more Lowes in your area, so you might want to call them to see if they rent submersible pumps.

With a vinyl liner, you need to leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end in order to protect your liner.

You will get through this, it might take longer since you have little ones, but you can and will be able to do this.

Thank you :)

Sounds ridiculous---but for now, we are siphoning with a hose-- ridic slow, but at least water is coming out steadily in a stream while we make lunch, put kids to naps, etc, LOL.

Does it seem like an okay idea to just keep that hose attached for a long while (days?)--draining-- and keep SLAM-ing?

This was a tight month as it was even before buying all the extra chlorine and $50 test kit, etc----and we don't have any extra $ to rent a pump, etc.

I appreciate all the guidance-- here are my main questions:

1. Can we keep draining with the garden hose for now? Should we add fresh water at a certain point to get CYA down faster (even though some will be drained back out by hose I guess)?
2. How many times a day should I be testing FC? Twice?
3. I don't think we can vacuum to waste-- when we first moved in, the inspector (who knows how much he knows about pools) said it was a brand new pump and filter but it was a brand he'd never heard of and it didn't look too professionally set up. (Awesome.) So-- I assume that means the only way we can drain is by renting a pump?
4. Can we keep SLAM-ing since we've already put so much time, effort, and $$$ in???
5. Is this a normal amount of FC to lose whicle SLAMing with algae??? Tested 9:15am it was 33, added chlorine using pool math to get to 39, tested again 1:15-- it's 33 again. Is that a normal amount to lose?

Thanks for the encouragement--- we are committed to doing TFPC but we are SO wishing we found this site 6 months ago right when we bought the house!!!

1. It is possible, but you will waste more water this way.
2. The fastest, most efficient and cost effective way is to test hourly. Once the pool is holding FC you can test less frequently, but you aren't there yet. Testing twice a day allows the algae to reproduce faster than you are able to kill it.
3. Post a photo of your equipment pad. Some filters have a jandy type valve that has settings for filter, backwash, circulate, close and waste. Renting a submersible pump will be fastest. Since you don't have main drain plumbed, your current method take longer, but you are doing what you can, so don't sweat it.
4. You can keep SLAMing especially since it will take you a long time to drain to lower your CYA.
5. Yes it is normal. It means that the chlorine is killing the algae. The more often you test FC and add bleach to get your FC back up, the faster this process will go.

Bottom line, the higher CYA is making you use more bleach.

Keep your pump running 24/7 and clean your filter cartridges when you pressure rises 20 to 25% above the clean pressure. Waiting longer to clean them will make this process longer.

The good news is that you found this site within 6 months... some people will take years to find this site, some will find the sight and keep going to the pool store, and some will never find this site. You are in control and you have the upper hand now. Next year, you will be surprised at how much you will save in chemicals.

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you.

Okay--- my husband just went for more chlorine and figured he'd have the pool store test CYA just to see-- they got 90. So-- since I kept getting 90-100, we can pretty much figure those numbers are good, right? Somewhere btw 90-100?

I'm going to order more CYA test stuff since we only have 1 left (and just opened the kit yesterday!) and I am using 60+ drops every time I test FC (at 10 mark) so I'm afraid I'm gong to run out of that, too.

Pool stores are generally very inaccurate for the CYA test and it is usually the test that they most often get wrong. The only accurate way to test CYA is to use the taylor based drops and to do the test outdoors in the bright sunshine. Pool stores have free testing so that you end up hooked on their expensive and unnecessary chemicals. The pool stores get a lot of their education from the chemical reps that push their products.

The pic angle isn't the best and the plumbing looks confusing. Need at least two more, 1) showing which of those lines go into the pump , and 2) one showing the plumbing going into the filter. In most pools, the black value on the left either: a) switches the flow from your left or right skimmer, or b) switches the flow from skimmers to main drain.

- - - Updated - - -

With a cartridge filter it is not possible to drain to waste, but what i do is hold my vacuum hose up to one of the return jets and drain that way. it requires you to be there to hold it unless you rig up a plumbing attachment of some kind

Thanks, never thought of this! The OP will still be stuck once the water gets below the skimmers because the OP believes the main drain is not connected.

Okay-- pic below. It's almost 7pm, tested and FC is 40, CC is 1.0. Still slowly draining with hose, drained off about 2 inches... going to leave it overnight and see where we are at...
im1.shutterfly-1.jpg

Yeah-- the black handle thing only switches suction amount from skimmer to return jets-- it's not a great hook up. The guy who did it was not good, we tried to call him after we closed on the house and he was not a good guy to say the least. He just did the cheapest easiest thing possible for the contractor.

What is OP?

OP is forum-speak for original poster... you.

It looks like part of your plumbing is backwards. Might need to bring in a pool or plumber to redo the lines next year. It wouldn't have cost the plumber to do the plumbing correctly... almost like he had no idea what he was doing. I wouldn't call him back.

Don't add bleach or other chemicals if the pump is not running, doing so will cause your liner to fade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That valve controls water returning to the pool. Is your skimmer the type that uses return water to create a skimming action or do you have an outlet for a pressure side pool cleaner? I'm also kind of interested in the pipe that is capped off. Do you know anything about it.

Your plan of slowly draining water by siphoning through a garden hose should work fine, it just that refilling as you drain will take more water. There are ways to use a sheet of plastic or a large tarp to separate the new fill water from what you are draining.

If you haven't done so already, you need to order more test reagents NOW! It is a lot cheaper to know exactly how much chlorine to put in and how much to drain than shooting in the dark. You'll waste a lot more in chemicals and water than the cost of test reagents.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The pump plumbing is a little odd looking, but it should function fine for now. Using a siphon to drain the pool is fine. Since you do have a liner I would drain about a 1/3 of the pool's volume then fill it back up. Turn the pump on and let the water circulate for about 30 - 60 minutes and test the CYA. We call this a drain and refill cycle. A couple of small drain and refill cycles are easier on pool liners than draining everything all at once, and you are not as likely to overshoot and drain more water than is needed. While you are in the drain and refill process, don't worry about adding bleach or anything else to the water. Once the CYA is in range we can concentrate on the slam. Read through ABCs of pool water chemistry. It will explain the basics of water chemistry. Feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to answer.

Don't sweat being a newbie to pool care. Trust me practically all of us have been in your shoes and we get how overwhelming it can be.

If you decide at a later date you want to make some modifications to the plumbing to add valves or equipment we can help with that as well, but for now it is best to concentrate on cleaning up the algae.

Thanks, zea3!

Okay--
that capped off pipe (as told to us by a Pinch a Penny guy who came out in May) is that floor drain --- so it isn't hooked up.

He also told us the plumbing was weird and he'd never seen anything like it. Someone else told us our pump is more than we need and the filter is too small, but we have n idea if that is correct.

As of May 1, 2014 we had literally never even turned on a pool light let alone used a pump, chlorine, or anything!!!

We totally did the suggestion of putting the vacuum host on a return jet and it was SO quick! Left the garden hose in over night, it has a nice steady stream of water coming out, so we will leave it in overnight-- I'd say it did about 2 inches of water in 5 hours--better than nothing. The vacuum hose on the return jet did about an inch in 15 minutes.

Doing a few partial drains sounds a LT less overwhelming.

Just ordered more CYA stuff and 871 drops here: http://tftestkits.net/R-0013-CYA-Refill-8-0z-p52.html

R-0871 (.75 oz) FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (for K-2006)
$8.50 $8.50
R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 0z.
$8.00 $8.00

Plumbing kind of looks like someone in the past tried a dyi and forgot where the valve should go! I wouldn't worry about it for now. If you get tired of soggy feet whenever you try to clean out the basket on the pump or clean the cartridge in the filter then you may want to look at re-doing the plumbing to put the cut off valve in the right place. Can't really say if the cartridge is too small for the pool. Once your slam is finished you can look into that if you want. What you have will work, you just may have to clean it more often.

You can drain down to leave a foot in the shallow end. That is probably close to 1/3 of your water, so that will probably get you down to about 100. Another 1/3 drain and replace will get you down to about 66. And a third should get you down a little below 50. That's how you can keep your vinyl liner safe. I'm assuming that the 70 is the result of the diluted sample giving you a cya of~140.
Sorry, I didn't see all the other posts on this page. But my advise remains pretty much the same, Except that unless you rent a submersible pump, you'll be stuck with only draining using the hose siphon. Zzzzzzzzz

Hi!
No, the diluted gave me a cya of 35, so I doubled for 70

Drained down to just below the skimmer then filled it back up about to go test

Um... Just went to test and I ran out of 871!!!!!!

I've ordered more, but obviously it'll be a couple days... Now I am screwed!

I used up all the 871 in 48 hours!

I only have one cya test left until the refill arrives.

I added 1 jug of chlorine because now I'm flying blind... 2.5 gal of 10.5%

Pool store has no 871... All I can do is wait for the refill to arrive. I am really surprised I used all the cya and 871 within one weekend. We just opened the kit up on Saturday morning

Earliest refill will get here is Wednesday more likely Thur or fri... We have no money to spend in extra stuff right now, that was it... We cannot lose all the money we put into this over the weekend... Pool is already blue again and looking good... Just can't lose all that money we out in this weekend...

It is not a surprise that you ran out of reagents based on the kit you are using. The best kit when battling algae is the TF-100 and most people should get the XL option. The K-2006 is a good test kit if you are maintaining clear water.

Here is a chart comparing the recommended kits:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

To get your CYA level to the recommended level, you needed to replace over 50% of the water in your pool, don't think you are close, so I wouldn't test it yet.

Most of us chart our testing and chemical additions, so we can see patterns. If you did write it all down, or if you remember what you have been doing, you can use that as a rough guide of how much and how frequent to add bleach add until your refills arrive.

As stated earlier, your method of SLAMing while draining will use a) more water vs doing one drain using a pump and refill, and b) more reagents, and c) more bleach. Your method isn't wrong and you are making progress and there are trade offs. You can't do a big, quick drain, so you are kinda stuck.

You might want to consider holding off your SLAM and do a big drain while waiting for your refills. The safest, lowest level is to leave at least one foot in the shallow end. Not sure if your pool setup, so I can't say how that compares to leaving one foot in the shallow end.

The only place locally I have been able to find the 871 and R13 in my area is a Leslie's Pool store. Get their item numbers from the website and call around. If the first store you call doesn't have it ask them to check inventory at a few others for you. You may get lucky, but you wont like the price.

I will second or third the suggestion that the biggest impact in reducing CYA will come from the largest drains you can do each time. Removing 5 inches 5 times is less effective than two feet all at once. "Mini" drains (anything less than 10-12 inches) will drag out the process and cost you more in time and water in the long run. Removal of the greatest amount of "offending" water, with quick replacement of good water, is what you want here. Stated in another way, replacing 2% of the bad water is still going to leave you 100% of water that is outside of what you want.

I also agree that you shouldnt test the CYA again until you have replaced somewhere very near (or over if you are doing small increments) the recommended percentage from the pool math page.

The problem is I have no way to drain large amounts.
The bottom drain doesn't work so pump only uses the skimmer.
I can either use a garden hose which in 24 hrs might drain 10 inches or less... Or use the hose but I can't use that once it is below the skimmer because no water will be coming thru the filter or pump.

Frustrated Bc we really don't even have the money to be ordering the kit we did, let alone all th rest of this stuff... Got a great deal in this house and it was in our range but happens to have a pool, so we are trying to take care if it so it doesn't become a miney suck,mouth unfortunately, it seems to require cash that we don't have at the moment.

Really feel like we are just stuck with a high cya for now and it almost seems like we should have just let the pool go and fix it later... Doesn't seem like it's saving us money to attack it now.
Really don't know what to do about the cya. Can't drain past the skimmer, can't afford to rent a pump... Feel like really have no option that is free right now.
If we keep cya where it is after that mini drain, it'll cost more in chemicals.

Whatever we do next, has to cost zero dollars, so seems like there are no good options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.