TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Working on getting things optimal for the Winter closing (We're still swimming since the weather has been nice and the heater is working well.) Generally, our chemistry is always good anyway, but I've struggled with getting pH up this year. Still am.

I did adopt borates in our pool last year, and I think I have too much in. So raising pH by that method is probably out. I used test strips for the borate, but I'm horrible in reading these things. See attached for a pic of the test strip 15 seconds after a 5 second dip. To me it looks like 50-80. Borate.jpg

I've just been aerating to try and get pH up. Both return jets are spun up and breaking up the surface pretty well. Went from 7.1 last week to 7.2 this week. Pump runs about 7 hours a day.

Also trying to get my CYA up. I added 24 ounces by volume of CYA last Saturday. Waited until this Saturday to test. Went from 50 to 55. Makes no sense. Dropped it SLOWLY in the skimmer with the pump running.

Full battery of tests below. Suggestions?

FC 6.5
CC <0.5
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 210
CYA 55

You can still raise the pH quite easily by using 20 Mule Team Borax. Use PoolMath for the dosage and pH should respond accordingly.

Most all pools rise naturally in pH when an SWG is in use....I have no idea why yours is not.

At this point, I would be unconcerned about CYA. I would readjust in the Spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.