I think I just screwed up BIG TIME

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
Clearly I have no business owning a pool... :(

So, I'm closing my pool this weekend, I just vacuumed, had the chlorine at shock level, added some polyquat last night, and I'm draining the water...

AND I'VE DRAINED IT BELOW THE LOWEST PORT THAT WATER GOES BACK TO THE PUMP.

Someone please tell me if I've screwed up again or not! :(

If you live in an area with prolonged temps below freezing, then it is best to drain below the intake and return openings. If you have the standard intex pump, filter, and hoses remove them, drain them and store them in a protected area, like a garage, shed, or basement. You can choose to cap off the intake and return or just leave them open and any excess water from rain or snow melt will drain out those openings.

If you have made modifications such as adding a skimmer and hard plumbing you should drain below the skimmer, blow or drain the water out of the plumbing and cap it off. If you have a skimmer and hoses you still have the option of removing the hoses and leaving the skimmer open so it will drain. In either situation drain the pump and filter. If you have a sand filter you may want to take the time to deep clean the sand filter, but it is not required for closing.

If you have made modifications such as adding a skimmer and hard plumbing you should drain below the skimmer, blow or drain the water out of the plumbing and cap it off. If you have a skimmer and hoses you still have the option of removing the hoses and leaving the skimmer open so it will drain. In either situation drain the pump and filter. If you have a sand filter you may want to take the time to deep clean the sand filter, but it is not required for closing.

I would remove the hoses, that would insure that the water dosent rise during the winter above the suction and return ports on the pool, fill the hoses and crack them. Also, be sure the pool valves are open on the suction and return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.