Switches for waterfall/underwater light?

Jun 8, 2008
I never had a pool before my current one and was relying 100% on pool cleaning service. But after seeing pool guy spend 3 minutes at the pool and charging me $80 per month, I found TFP and decided to take care of the pool my self. Asked a a couple stupid questions so far and answer helped alot since it was regarding how to operate filter! So far keeping up with Cl and using filter regularly seems to me more than adequate enought to keep the pool nice and clean! Only thing is that I have no clue how to turn on underwater light or turn on the waterfall. I tried to turn on all buttons I can locate outside but no luck. My question is where do pool builders usually put switches for them? Sorry again for silly question but thanks in advance for any reply!

My switch for the light is located in a box at the equipment pad. The box has an outlet and switch in it. Do you have a programable control for your equipment? Seperate pump for the waterfall? A list of equipment and maybe a picture would help.

They will most likely be weather proof swich boxes or disconnect handles, possibly a curcuit breaker.
It you can't find any thing like that try tracing back any visual conduit from these items from their source.
And if you still can't find them see if you can post some pictures of your equipment layout and electrical layout.

jb

There is a label saying light but it doesn't seem to be doing anything unless I have to "enable" it then turn it on somewhere else? As for waterfall, I don't see anything that looks like 2nd pump. I am assuming there is waterfall since I see lion's head and hole inside it along with thin flat plastic openings on each side of the head. Maybe they put it there for looks? I don't know. This house was bank owned and although there were any major fault, construction appears to be hurried a bit. I have attached 3 pics

Attachments

• CIMG5145 (1280 x 960).jpg
    CIMG5145 (1280 x 960).jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 452
  • CIMG5146 (1280 x 960).jpg
    CIMG5146 (1280 x 960).jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 454
  • CIMG5148 (1280 x 960).jpg
    CIMG5148 (1280 x 960).jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 452
It definitely looks as if the lion and those flat slits should be water features. I'm assuming that you cannot see any plumbing near or around those fixtures, most likely burried if not. I do not see any special swich in the box for a water fall assuming that the timer shown is the one for the pool.
If thats the case there must be another valve somewhere not in the pictures, or its not connected.

As for the lighting, above the label LIGHTS it looks like that is a switch as well. the button below the LIGHTS looks to be a timer or a breaker, its hard to tell.
There must be a feed to that outdoor box from somewhere else. If you can find that breaker, shut it off then shut the two breakers in the pool box then remove the cover and take a couple of more pics of componants as a whole and individually showing the wiring. Also take more photos to the wires/line to and from the box and more of your plumbing too. Put the cover back in the pool box before you turn on the main breakers again and maybe a photo of the light fixture.
Could be a burned out bulb, or water in the niche.

JB.

Also, be aware that the shown set up is not the safest set up to be using. First off those breakers need to be GFI (ground fault interrupt) around wet situations.
The box should be weather proof and the switches weather proof.
I also do not see a bond wire on the pump from the pictures.( scratch that i now see the wire on the back of the motor)
You might want to have that whole set up updated. Her in MA that whole thing is a code violation.
Keep in touch
JB

Here's what I would try... First, to get the light working. I added arows and what to do's for each switch. This may or may not work, but it's what I would try. Do you know what the switch even with the timer wheel controls?

Lightforlady.jpg

Now, for the fountain. could you please take a better picture of the pipe that is blocked by the filter in this pic.? Thanks.
Also, FWIW(for what it's worth) your chlorinator should be after the filter, not before it(I think). Right now, the acidic chlorinated water(if you ARE using the tabs in it) is going right into the filter and gaskets and that's not good for them.

OK, from what I can see in this pic. there are instructions. These are assuming you have a valve where the arrow is pointing.

lvalveforlady.jpg

HTH,
Adam

I got the light working! I had to move the switch a few times to loosen it up and voila! Works now. Thank a lot to all of ya! Now I just need to figure out how to work the waterfall assuming it is hooked up. Anyway here are more pictures of my setup from various angles.

Attachments

• CIMG5150 (1280 x 960).jpg
    CIMG5150 (1280 x 960).jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 352
  • CIMG5151 (1280 x 960).jpg
    CIMG5151 (1280 x 960).jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 353
  • CIMG5152 (1280 x 960).jpg
    CIMG5152 (1280 x 960).jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 352

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Launboy, I tried turning it 45 degrees first and two side falls seems to be working now! The lion head on the other hand, still doesn't do anything. Perhaps I didn't turn it enough? Or it is just an ornanment? (although not sure why there is hole in the mouth) So how much should I turn it? 90? 180 degree?

As for the dust, I have a bunch of reasons (excuses!) for that. First, I didn't want to touch anything since I didn't want to mess anything up. Second, sun is pretty strong so I left it there as sorta protecticve layer ;) And third, where I live, things get dusty real fast. Even if I were to clean it, it will look like that in a few days. Fourth, I plan to get new setup sometime in the future so I don't feel the need to clean it.

Anyway thanks a mil for your help yet again! :)

I would just keep turning the valve until it is the full 180* around(full flow through the slits and head). Check it as you go and if water's not coming out the lion head hole then you might have a clog in that pipe. Can you stick something like a coat hanger up the hole? If it only goes as far in as the head sticks out of the wall then it's probably not hooked up to anything.

What might be happening now with it only 45* open is that there is enough pressure to allow water to come out the slits but not any left to come out the lions head.

Good luck,
Adam

I checked the hole and couldn't see anything too far in. So I tried to shove in a stick and didn't go to far in. As a last step, I tried to see underneath it. It was a bit heavy but slightly mobile. I was able to spin the head about 45 degree around anchor nail. At this point I am 99.9 percent sure it is just there as an ornament... :( Unless of course they used a VERY flexible and stretchable hose which I really doubt. Well thanks for all the help! Now I don't have a thing to worry about in regards to my pool besides saving up $$ for eventual SWG~ ;)

The light circuit and pump circuit need to be on a GFCI breaker (2008 National Electric Code). Before swimming with that light on, I would check the main panel to see if the 240 breaker is GFCI. You will see a test/reset button on the breaker, if you see it, test it to make sure it works. If you don't have one you are mixing water with electricity with no fault protection. This means, if there is any electrical surge or short in that circuit and you or your children are swimming, that you would become a part of that circuit and I don't have to tell you the rest. Now that you know, don't play with your family's life and make sure it is to code even if you have to get an electrician out.

Attachments

• spp-QF240.jpg
    spp-QF240.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 190
One more thing to keep in mind with the X10 switches is that they are not extreemly reliable. I've replaced tons of them when they go bad and that's not in any type of outdoor environment.

If your light ever stops working, I'd suspect the X10 switch before the light itself!

BTW - Great advice above on the need for GFCI with the pool equiptment.

Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.