Pump very noisy Sounds like bearings are shot

I need to fix with as low cost as possible. Have time to perform labor as I just got laid off. Below is the label from the pump motor.
The pump is a Hayward SP2710X15. Can I downsize the motor to a 1 HP (currently it's a 1.5 HP) to save some cost?
I have researched buying a bearing kit but it seems to cost about half the price of the entire motor. I would appreciate any advice that could be offered. There is a video below so you can hear what th pump sounds like.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Love this site with all its great contributors! God bless!

IMG_20140928_140408.jpg

Here is a video:
http://youtu.be/YGs0PaOTy9c

Last edited:
yes you can install a 2-speed motor on the same pump. You have to match the total HP on high speed to the old motor.
Your motor total HP (THP) = 1.65 (HP (1.5) * SF (1.1) = 1.65

You should be able to fine a 1 HP motor with a 1.65 SF. That will work fine. I believe it's a square flange. Is the motor running 115V or 230V? You'll need to be sure for the 2 - speed motor. They are either 115V or 230V but not both.
An example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADVANTAGE-M...230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f372f09ce

Oh, I think you have a 48 frame, there may be a spacer that needs to be removed.

Quick Answer: The needed bearings for the SP2710X15 is the 203 Double Sealed for the front and back

Long answer: If you go the bearings route you will also need to buy a bearing puller on top of that. So that will add to the cost by about 20 bucks. I am not sure how handy you are but I have tried to replace a bearing once and it was a nightmare. That is two hours I can never get back and the motor didn't work afterwards.

As someone may have said before me, it is possible to go to a lower HP but you will need to change the Impeller to go along with it. If a 1.5 HP impeller is used an a 1 HP motor, bye bye motor. If a long term cost solution is wanted then a dual speed with a timer interface would be a good purchase. Something like the B975T would be primo. Mind you it will cost more upfront and the impeller change would still be necessary. Check your voltage to make sure 230 is available

This explains the service factor rating and what it means.
The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) defines service factor in section MG1 - 1.43 of their manual as: "The service factor of an alternating current (AC) motor is a multiplier which, when applied to the rated horsepower, indicates a permissible horsepower loading which may be carried under the conditions specified for the service factor." The conditions under which service factor may be applied are described in NEMA MG1 - 14.36 as: "When the voltage and frequency are maintained at the value specified on the motor's nameplate, the motor may be overloaded up to the horsepower obtained by multiplying the rated horsepower by the service factor shown on the nameplate."
So langerking, as long as your motor operates at the nameplate rated voltage and frequency, your 1.5HP rated motor can operate at 1.65 SFHP.
Personally I would be careful downsizing motor HP unless you are absolutely sure of the exsisting pump HP requirements and system requirements. That's just me and MHO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I decided to nix the bearing replacement idea. I found a pump motor rebuilding shop about 40 miles from my home. The guy does terrific work. He would have rebuilt my motor for $110 to $140 based on the condition. When I checked the condition it was pretty bad. He sold me a rebuilt pump for $155. That seemed to make a whole lot more sense. Primarily I have a pump with a warranty now and there was no pump downtime. If I attempt to rebuild it might not work or could fail in short order. For anyone in the Orlando area, I highly recommend this guy for your pump needs. He is knowledgeable and will work on your issue immediately, treat you right. I will pm you the name of the company if you request it from me. Am I allowed to put a link here? I thought not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.