New home, new pool

Aug 14, 2008
Hello,

First time user here. After spending several hours on this forum *trying* to grasp at least some of the great information here, I've decided to make a post just to see where I stand with my new pool hardware. I want to go slowly...... as I am a bit overwhelmed.
The pool I have in the yard is...

16 x 32 vinyl in-ground
pent-air meteor 26" diamater sand filter rated at maximun flow of 70 GPM
Hayward 1.5 HP superpump
Hayward cl200 in line chlorinator.

All these parts (except pent-air) have been installed by the previous owner in the last year.. all brand new stuff. Have been reading this forum and I HOPE my pump isn't too big for my filter!
Well, this is my first question... like I said, trying to take it slowly. I will concetrate on chemistry after getting the hardware sorted out.

Thanks for any comments you may have on my pump / filter sizing.

Best regards,

Rich

Hey! Welcome to the forum.

My first reaction is the pump is a little too big.

You should be able to go to the manufacturer's website or look in your doucmentation for the "pump curve".

It shows different gpm's for different amounts of resistance or "head". Use 40 or so for the average "head" in your pool.

You'll probably find your pump producing somewhere around 80-90gpm (just guessing on my part).

So, Ideally you'd want a filter about 20% or so over your pump gpm.....about 110gpm or thereabouts.

If you are so inclined, your choices are to increase your filter size or reduce the pump size.

No one will be gravely injured if you choose to do nothing, but your system just won't be as efficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.