Pool Pump Speed and Time

00xavier

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2013
Melrose, NY
I currently have my pump running 12 hours a day at speed of 2250 rpms. It is still swim season down here in Houston and, weather permitting, I intend to keep the pool open for another 2-3 weeks. What are the proper time and speed settings for my pump during pool season and the off season?

What are the proper time and speed settings for my pump during pool season and the off season?
It really depends on what falls in the pool. I find that sometimes my pool needs more run time in the winter/fall than the summer due to leaf fall. But most pools should not need more than about 6 hours of run time and many can get away with 4 hours or less. Remember run time is mostly for removing debris from the pool (see run time study in my sig). Also circulation doesn't require that much time.

As for speed, 1000 RPM is the most efficient speed for a VS but doesn't always provide enough flow rate for the skimmers to work properly so you may need to do some experimentation.

I have a Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator.
That could be a problem for you long term. Are you checking your CYA regularly? Pools that do not close are more susceptible to high CYA when using a chlorinator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.