Changing from Propane to Natural Gas. Have decision to make.

rxman

May 30, 2008
I have a decision to make. I have a 6 year old Bull Outdoors 40" grill built into an island. I paid about $2000 back then, however it took some damage in a recent move. Basically the grill fell out of the island which scratched up the lid and many tiles are missing from the counter edge. The scratches aren't too noticable, but would be to a potential buyer.
It looks similar to this one:

My decision would be to sell this one and get what I can, then buy a new one. Or I could order the NG kit for this one ($250) and take it out and also take out the door and use when I build the new enclosure.

Which would you do?

I don't understand the $250 either. The rep said I had to have a licensed plumber contact them and request the conversion kit. I'll call and try to see what I would be getting.
If I can make the conversion myself for little or no money then that makes the decision much easier. I will convert and use that grill and door and whatever else I can off of the old one.

Either way, I will have a new grill island built into a new patio remodel. The decision is to sell this one and buy a new grill or repair/convert this one and use in new island.

Here are some pics I took this morning.

Here is the burner
This just slips into place over the brass orifice.

The others are various pics I thought of the rest of the grill.

I have no idea if I would need a new manifold or even what a manifold is! :)

Tell me how many BTU per burner your grill is and I'll advise you as to what size to drill out the orofices. That way, it won't cost you anything except the drill bit.

Who is trying to get you for $250.00 for a kit? They need to be exposed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank You!
I called back and asked exactly what the kit would contain and the sales rep was very vague. She said all new valves and new clips and some "other items", but wouldn't say exactly what other items.
I do have a drill press, so I'll give it a try when the time comes.

With NG, you don't need anything but a shut off valve to the source and new or drilled out orofices. Your normal valves for control should not need changing. I can't visualize any need for "clips". Is this a major internet retailer?

I really don't think she knew what she was talking about. I assumed she meant the orofices, but just said valves instead. So I need a shut off valve on the line itself under the grill? This shut off would be for safety only, but not normally used?

www.bullbbq.com

I finally got around to doing my built-in grill. The framing went fine and the brick goes on tomorrow. The problem I have is that I drilled out the orafices with a #48 and I get lots of yellow flame on high and even on medium. I basically have to cook on low. I know there is nothing that can be done now, but I am curious what went wrong.

rxman said:
I finally got around to doing my built-in grill. The framing went fine and the brick goes on tomorrow. The problem I have is that I drilled out the orafices with a #48 and I get lots of yellow flame on high and even on medium. I basically have to cook on low. I know there is nothing that can be done now, but I am curious what went wrong.

Is there an air adjustment screw where the gas enters? You need more oxygen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.