Weird labeling on my return pipes? (heat?)

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
This was my first season owning a pool. I think we got to use it maybe 15 or so days all summer because the water was always freezing. On the original bill of sale (11 years ago) the previous owner had a "heat" system listed. But it doesn't have a heater, it doesn't even seem to be room for one where the pump was installed. Maybe it went out, maybe they changed their mind. We have a layout page with what each pipe goes to. One of the return lines is labeled "heat plus". Does anyone have any idea on what that means? I think next year we may invest in a heating system if we can afford it. However I have no idea where this heat plus pipe was going? :confused:

Also just for future reference considering our pool was always cold, and we had many days in a row in the upper 90s. Is there a better way to run the returns to help conserve heat? The solar cover didn't seem to make any difference as the pool temp never came up during the day. I had this idea that maybe not pulling in from the main drain as much might help or vise verse.

Thanks

The solar cover didn't seem to make any difference as the pool temp never came up during the day.

I can't comment on the plumbing, but just wanted to make sure you were using the "solar cover" at night, not just during the day. Our pool (bought the house in June) was colder than I was thinking (most days in the 90s here over the summer, almost all sunny), but it's dry and clear and cools to the low 60s every night so we were losing every degree gained overnight. I bought a cover and put it on at night, and it helped immensely -- instead of losing 4-5 degrees overnight, it would only lose 1-2, but still gain 3-5 each day. Over about a week, that raised the mid-day temp from 81-82 to 88-89 where we stood until the sun angle meant the pool is partially shaded now and we're holding at about 80 now. Despite the name, I don't know that they make much difference during the day (perhaps more where it's windy/cloudy/rainy), but very effective as a thermal blanket at night.

Despite the name, I don't know that they make much difference during the day (perhaps more where it's windy/cloudy/rainy), but very effective as a thermal blanket at night.

This is correct. While there is a little bit of "heat trapping" during the day, the vast majority of the benefit of a solar blanket comes at night, where it prevents evaporation. Evaporation is the temperature killer, since it takes heat with it.

Yup. The "solar" cover name is not very good. Covers are really good for reducing heat loss to evaporation and at night ... often you will get better heating in the sunlight without the cover on (assuming you do not have very low humidity and a lot of wind).

I did use it only at night, I came here to make sure and you guys helped me out early summer. :)

I didn't know however that the water evaporated so much at night, is that true even in high humidity areas? Here in St. Louis the humidity levels skyrocket over night, usually 80-90%. Not sure if that matters though. Anyhow ya I would drag it over, the water never warmed up much. I will admit I didn't do it every night though. I will stay diligent next season for sure.

Ya there is no solar anywhere on the property. Doesn't one of those returns go to the jets and the other to the deep return? Is it better to run the jets at a higher rate? They never seemed to be very strong and I had to skim every day by hand.

Thank you so much guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, there are 3 jets and a round return halfway down the wall in the deep end? Not sure what you would actually call that? Is that not a normal thing?

I kind of wondered if one or the other can contribute to more heat loss than the other, but maybe that is a silly thought.

It is not "typical" to have a deep return, although in theory I guess it would help, just not really required. You could always turn the valve and confirm that the "heat" pipe is just the deep return. ;)

The odd thing is it sits about 1'-2' above the main drain. Seems like its pushing water out then it gets almost sucked right back into the drain. lol

Maybe the heat plus is some super secret underground thermal heating system! :D

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

Sure ... maybe that pipe goes straight down a few hundred feet and has geothermal heating :mrgreen: {Honestly I have no idea how deep you would have to go for that .. I now in parts of New Zealand, you only have to dig a foot or 2 in the sand to burn your feet :shock:}

Sure ... maybe that pipe goes straight down a few hundred feet and has geothermal heating :mrgreen: {Honestly I have no idea how deep you would have to go for that .. I now in parts of New Zealand, you only have to dig a foot or 2 in the sand to burn your feet :shock:}

I was curious when you mentioned geothermal heating. I had a co-worker several years ago have a system installed to heat and cool his home. It sounded like a pretty neat setup. Online it says if you want to avoid seasonable variation, you need to go down between 23 - 39 feet.

:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.