Sep 26, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, everyone!

I've just closed on a house with a pool and no doubt will have a lot of questions once I move in. Initially, though, I'd like some input on an electronic testing kit versus the traditional kits. I would prefer being shown an exact figure instead of trying to gauge various shades of colors.

I would think that would be beneficial as well when inputting data into one of the pool calculators or apps (I'd also welcome recommendations for a good smartphone app for keeping track of testing data).

LaMotte seems to provide a wide range of options, but not sure which one would be best.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There are VERY few members here who would recommend a digital tester ... most of us do not trust them. They are expensive, require a lot of calibration, and then you still do not know if it is giving you valid readings.

The Recommended Test Kits do not require any color matching (except for the pH test). If you can count drops, you can get accurate test results. There is just no need to have the artificial and questionable precision when you have no idea how accurate it is.

There are many threads discussing phone apps, depending on your OS.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There are VERY few members here who would recommend a digital tester ... most of us do not trust them. They are expensive, require a lot of calibration, and then you still do not know if it is giving you valid readings.

The Recommended Test Kits do not require any color matching (except for the pH test). If you can count drops, you can get accurate test results. There is just no need to have the artificial and questionable precision when you have no idea how accurate it is.

There are many threads discussing phone apps, depending on your OS.
:goodpost:

Best Android app I've used is PoolPal.

OK, I've gone ahead and ordered the TF-100 kit.

Is there anything I can/should do before it arrives?

A little background on the pool:

It is an older (1996) in-ground plaster pool that is around 10K gallons (don't have exact measurements yet). It seems in decent shape but is showing signs of age (could probably use a replastering). Once I get more details, I'll add them to my signature.

The house was a foreclosure and the previous owner had let it go green last year. The city came in and cleaned it up and it was left empty for a few months over last Winter. It was refilled during the Spring and looks like they simply put chlorine tabs in a float to maintain it. (Possibly a pool service was used, but I don't know). The water is clean and clear and looks great to the naked eye.

Should I just wait till the test kit comes before doing anything? Or should I get rid of the floating chlorine tabs and start adding bleach manually in anticipation?

OK, I've gone ahead and ordered the TF-100 kit.
Great choice, You saved me from finding all my comments about the LaMotte

It is an older (1996) in-ground plaster pool that is around 10K gallons (don't have exact measurements yet). It seems in decent shape but is showing signs of age (could probably use a replastering).
Give it time, don;t rush into anything.

Or should I get rid of the floating chlorine tabs and start adding bleach manually in anticipation?
Yes! The tabs are raising CYA and at this point you don't know if you can afford it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.