del ozonator- to use or not to use?

mxfan

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Shingle Springs, CA
Hello everyone, Newbie here!

I have been getting a lot of info in the last few months from this board and appreciate all the people involved in the community.

I have had green and black algae (in the past) and with the info provided in the forum I have a bit of a handle on it now.

My question is about the ozonater that I have. It is a Del Ozone model (2 years old) and I recently sent it in for service because it stopped producing ozone. The service guy at Del Ozone was very helpful, but when he received the unit for servicing he said that it had been re-plumbed (he sent photos of what mine looked like, and what it was supposed to look like) and said that it probably has never operated correctly the way it was.

I had them service it and re-installed it. The thing bubbles like i've never seen before (the difference is like someone blowing air through a straw-before...and after like someone has a high pressure air hose- lots more bubbles/ozone being generated.

At the time I re-installed it our pool was fairly clear (not perfect) and it made it worse. I read on their website that this was normal and that it would cloud up after a few days...then start filtering out the larger particles.

After a week of still cloudy I disconnected it from the system. It has been about 60 days and I finally have the water crystal clear and the chemical readings are all good right now.

I would like to use the ozonator again...but am a little scared to mess the water up since it looks so good right now?

Would like to hear opinions of the Del Ozonator and determine whether to connect it again, or leave it the way it is since it may not be beneficial to keeping the water clear.

Sorry for the long post.

current test #s
5 ppm fc
5 ppm cc
7.6 ph
110 ta
210 calc. hard.
40 cya

Thanks for your help.
...Eric

Ozone is not generally worth using in swimming pools. Ozone will break down organic contamination and CC, but chlorine will also do that quite well. You need to add chlorine anyway, so why bother with the ozone. Ozone also tends to break down chlorine, so you often end up needing more chlorine when using ozone.

Ozone is much more useful in spas, since the organic contamination and CC levels both tend to be much higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.