Need suggestions for depth and interior features....HELP

Sep 30, 2014
Daphne, AL
Planning on signing a contract on a new pool in the next day or so and we are struggling to decide what we want. One of the PBs put together a nice layout that we really liked. I have attached a picture of the pool below. I don't know the actual dimensions, it is a 300 sqft pool, but it should be somewhere around 14x28 overall.

She extended the first step to allow for a tanning ledge and also included a seating spot in the deep end. The pool is 3' in the shallow end and we were thinking 6' in the deep end. Their standard is 5' and they charge extra for additional depth. I am 6'6 and just don't want to feel like I can't get under water anywhere in the pool. Although, I am starting to worry that 6' might be a problem for others b/c it is not really deep enough to be a true deep end, but too deep for most normal size folks.

I am starting to lean towards the idea of doing it as either a:
3' to 5' gradual slope
3'-5'-3' sport pool
3.5'-5'-3.5' sport pool

Can I get some of your opinions on this?

Also....wanted to get your thoughts on the features (sun ledge, seat) to see if you would recommend changing them or swapping them out for something else. I like the idea of the tanning ledge for toddlers to play in....but it looks like it takes up most of the shallow end.

Pool.jpg

Hi, I would check with your pool builder to see if they can show you pools they've built around this size. Seeing one in person may give you an idea of how much room you'll have, and if it will fit your family's needs.

My shallow end is right at 3 3/4' and I wouldn't change it - my pool is fairly small, and I wanted the shallow to be deep as possible, but still usable. My daughter's 8 and that depth is fine for her and most of her friends. I also eliminated a tanning ledge (I felt it took up too much space) and downsized to larger steps, and wish I would've downsized even more. One day those steps might be used by teenagers hanging out, but right now I look at them and see that I could've had more pool space. And in a small pool, every little bit helps! Good luck!

Our pool is 3-8 1/2. I would prefer 3 1/2-9. 3 is very shallow. Kids aren't small long and can swim.

It's all relative to the use and size of the pool. Some folks here have giant pools compared to the one you and I are building ( mine is 12 x 25). When presented with the same dilemma I decided to go with 3.5' to 5.5'. Going from 3' to 6' with a 28" pool may yield a slope that is too steep/slanted. Definitely I wouldn't start it at 3', there's no use for the pool at 3'. If I were you I would go from 3.5 to 6 gradual and call it a day. Oh, and remember, you may be 6'6" but your mouth and nose are probably at around 5'11"....you will get that drowning feel you are seeking at 6'.

I have an 18x36 rectangular sport pool. The depth is 3.5 ft at one end, 5 ft center and 4 ft other end. We are very happy with the pool depth. At first I was afraid it would feel like a wading pool or an above ground type depth. What I found is that it's great for everything except diving, (which I am of the opinion should never be allowed in a residential size pool anyway). Water sports, volleyball games, Aqua aerobics just wouldn't be possible in a deep pool. I should also note that we have a 7x7x18 inch deep tanning shelf, a bench the entire length of the pool, and a 7x7 spa. If I had the option to do it over, the only thing I MIGHT change would be making it 4 to 5 and back to 4, since few people gravitate to the 3.5 end. It would also make the ends equal depth for volleyball games.

My pool is a rectangular 14x28 with a tanning ledge. My depth is 3' to 6' and the slope isn't bad at all, you might be able to see some of the slope in some of my build pics. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/78629-New-in-ground-in-swampy-Louisiana-Build-is-ON!!!/page3 is probably a good page to see the slope. I know you can't dive unless you have a length of around 40' and a depth of around 8' at least in the deep end. Since we didn't want a pool that large, we stuck to 6' in the deep end.

My husband who is 6'1" really wanted to make sure it was deep enough to tread water, if it was't long enough for him to do laps. I wanted to make sure it was shallow enough to do mini laps and also water aerobics and I think it will cover all that. I already love the tanning ledge and there isn't even water in it yet. I've already been caught sitting in it by builder as it turns out its a great place to watch my bird feeder from. LOL. I think it'll be a great place to hang out, and I have dogs so I'm hoping they'll come and splash around on it with me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.