Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Vial graduations??

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Vial graduations??

I believe that the test vial graduations may be off. If I fill a liquid medcine syringe (http://www.baxa.com/PharmacyProducts/Or ... rySystems/) to 10 ml and fill the test vial. The vial reads slightly over 11 ml. Do I fill to the 10 ml mark on the vial 10 ml per the syringe?
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: 1.5 HP Super Pump w/ 1.5 EcoTech VS Motor
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Vial graduations??

Are you reading from the bottom of the meniscus?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you'll be fine +/- 1ml
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I noticed the same thing. I have found that to get 10ml, you need to fill it to the 12ml mark. Also, to fill 25ml of water, one actually has to fill it to the 28ml mark.

I verified this by three ways. A 10ml glass pipet; Rainin 5 ml pipette (L-5000) and by weight on a analytical balance (resolution 0.001g).
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

I just want to make one point here. If you are doing your own testing, be consistent and do it the same way EVERY time!! - the discrepancy in accuracy won't effect the validity if you do the tests the same way each time (and I don't think the accuracy is too far off if you have 1/2 a ml. more or less) Let's face it, we all do the tests slightly differently, doing them the same way each time allows you to properly dose the pool!

Just $.02 from someone who does this all the time (and probably incorrectly :P )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CRG_80cc
    I noticed the same thing. I have found that to get 10ml, you need to fill it to the 12ml mark. Also, to fill 25ml of water, one actually has to fill it to the 28ml mark.

I verified this by three ways. A 10ml glass pipet; Rainin 5 ml pipette (L-5000) and by weight on a analytical balance (resolution 0.001g).
    We are talking about adding 20% water more than the 10ml mark on the vial. I think that this could leas to misleading results.
    I will contiune to use the syringe. I am assuming the test is designed around volume not the vial.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: 1.5 HP Super Pump w/ 1.5 EcoTech VS Motor
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by acamato
    [
    We are talking about adding 20% water more than the 10ml mark on the vial. I think that this could leas to misleading results.
    I will contiune to use the syringe. I am assuming the test is designed around volume not the vial.
    Yet this is the vial that Taylor supplies with these tests (if you get the single test kits and not the combo kit like the K-2006). The markings on the vials also coincide with the markings on the 2000 series comparators included in the k-2005/2006. If there is a problem it is Taylor's.

8. Back To Top    #8

Does anyone know the Taylor part number for the TF-100 vials? According the the Taylor website and also Taylor tech support, the vials supplied in the stand alone kits (Taylor P/N 9198) only goes up to 25 ml!
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dschlic1
    Does anyone know the Taylor part number for the TF-100 vials? According the the Taylor website and also Taylor tech support, the vials supplied in the stand alone kits (Taylor P/N 9198) only goes up to 25 ml!
    Not true. The Taylor salt test kit has the same vial as the TF100. I am looking at both right now. Taylor part number 9198.
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/image ... 00x375.jpg
    Here is a picture of the Taylor TA/CH test.....same vial (2 of them)
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/image ... 00x375.jpg
    I could go on but you get the idea.

10. Back To Top    #10

The standard Taylor vial, 9198, is marked up to 25 ml, even though it holds about 50 ml. The upper half is provided so that the test sample won't slosh out when you are swirling the vial to mix.

I just tested two of my Taylor vials against two other brands of vials and all four agree very very closely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

The ones that came with my TF-100 (that are 20% off) are different from the #9198. They have black 1ml graduations on the side. I'll check when I get home since I do have a Taylor kit with the #9198 cylinder.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

This stuff is bound to come up when you have trouble free pools. nothing better to do!!
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

13. Back To Top    #13

My TF100 came with Taylor vials. (I have one of the early kits.)

14. Back To Top    #14

I agree. My vials also have black markings (missing on the vials in the photos) up to 40 ml. That is the reason I stated that the vials in my kit are not Taylor 9198's. BTW my vials read about 10% low. When I place 25 ml of water in the vial it reads 27.5 ml. This will make the measurements read about 10% low. For example if you have a reading for CH of 400, the actual value will be 440.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.